Myford S7B Bearing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BaronJ, as you know, the Super-7 countershaft runs in oilite bushes. They just don't need that much oil. I fill the spindle oil cup every day and the countershaft oil cups, oh, every three or four months. The lathe is nearly 50 years old and has no wear in that department.

On the other hand, I do put a drop of oil on the bronze clutch plate to try to stop that screech you get when engaging the clutch in higher speeds.

BaronJ, as you know, the Super-7 countershaft runs in oilite bushes.

Whilst JohnB and I have oilte bearings, my previous Super7B ( a sight glass model) had 'roller bearings' and chucked oil and rattled- despite the oiling.
Agin, it has a different clutch- and a different gear box- and had a narrow guide lathe bed- with a 4th shear-- not doing a lot until ;Cleeve; did the modifications.

Still plenty of them still churning on.
I was playing a '7 year tax gambit' when I got the new-ish one. Another variant- I suppose

Hi Guys,

I think I've traced the source of the rumble to the ball thrust race on the clutch end of the counter shaft. The noise changes when I hold the clutch lever to ease the pressure on the counter shaft.

I reckon the new belt a thrust race and a good wipe out should sort it.
It will also give me a chance to inspect the spindle bronze bearing as well.

Latest posts

Back