Myford S7 DRO Modification

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, have a look at Hemmingway, (hemmingwaykits dot com) he does a lovely six position saddle stop that fits on the front right hand side of the saddle, it attaches on an extended chasing dial stud and is very simple to make. Now that I know how to post photos I will see if I can get a picture of the Hemmingway and Myford stops tomorrow.

Baz

There is- there are several sensible modifications to the Myford series if you can actually down load the old Chris Heapy site called Model Engineers Support page. It's worth a serious try to find it.

I downloaded it and copied the drawings for a home made 6 turret, a rear stops and a rrear tool post as well as a rather fine taper turning attachment.

Maybe someone can assist further but it may be ancient etc but worth the try

Norm

I enjoyed his site also but did not copy anything down. I tried looking but it appears not available any longer, at least a 10 minute searching around found empty pages.

Bob

I managed to find the drawing of the 4( not6) stop for the Myford S7 but whether that was because I already had 'some' as a favourite is beyond me.

I couldn't print it but obviously could 'photo' it.

Reminding others that I'm partially blind and it's getting worse.

Norman

I have just spent a couple of hours searching for Chris Heapy and i have found mention of various sites but every time I get safari cannot find server or server has timed out.

Baz

I have just spent a couple of hours searching for Chris Heapy and i have found mention of various sites but every time I get safari cannot find server or server has timed out.

Baz[/QUOTE

I got as far as .bmp which was expanded and therefore might be photo'd but see my earlier notes.
N

Baz

After changing to an old Samsung laser printer , I got the 4 station turret printed!

Seems as if, flushed with success that I should print another set of copies and heat seal them as 'workshop copies'------------------------tomorrow.

Hope your luck improves

N

I don't have any DRO on my S7. I have not figured a way to have a DRO and still be able to use the taper turning attachment that I have used once in a while. I really do like the rotary stops for the saddle but have not got to buying one or a kit either.
Anyway, if there is a way to have the DRO and all the other attachments, I would like to know how they do it.
Neil

As Allendale is the supplier for the present topic might I suggest that you asl them?

There ARE other things.

I've a SiegC4 too but it has rotary encoders which are a nigh impossibility to find 'little a bit bigger that hearing aid batteries. Frankly and I know that it is OT, I'd be happy nto have things that I can zero/reset- without batteries or whatever.

I'm so p***ed off that I fancy a trip next month to the Axminster Tool display at the Doncaster Show to discuss things at the 'coal face. Well Doncaster did have coal faces once

Norm

There is- there are several sensible modifications to the Myford series if you can actually down load the old Chris Heapy site called Model Engineers Support page. It's worth a serious try to find it.

I downloaded it and copied the drawings for a home made 6 turret, a rear stops and a rrear tool post as well as a rather fine taper turning attachment.

Maybe someone can assist further but it may be ancient etc but worth the try

Norm

Hi Norm,

After a bit of hunting, I found a partial backup of Chris Heapy's site on the Wayback Machine (an internet archive, for those who don't know). Seems like the site went away in 2005. Anyway, there's a substantial version of it at https://web.archive.org/web/20040827213246/http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/. Lots of the images are missing, but many of the plans can still be downloaded.

Bill

Neil Lickfold, A’s far as I know it’s readouts OR taper turn, rear stop etc but I think it’s possible to remove the readouts temporarily, I am extremely fortunate to have two Myfords, a super 7 and ML7R so one has readouts and the other has taper turn attachment etc.
Crawdad, thanks for link to Chris Heapy site, I have found the info that I wanted

Baz, if you discovered George. Thomas who is well worth the 30 quid or so, you've miss ed a treat.

Sadly, I'm host to family on the weekend of the Doncaster Show.

Goldstar31, got George Thomas years ago, it’s one of my favourite books, love the way he goes about things, a proper engineer. Shame you have to miss Doncaster, I was considering taking the caravan up to York that week and doing Doncaster on the Friday but not sure now especially as there is nothing I really want and it was only a few months since Alexandra Palace which is only about sixty miles from me (I am in North Hampshire) it would also mean missing the clubs members running day especially as we only have about half a dozen a year.

GeoffR

Could you post a picture of the installation and what scales did you use.

Thanks

Jim

Jim
I have uploaded some photos, I think.
The longitudinal DRO is a glass scale from Arc Eurotrade and the cross slide is a magnetic tape job from Machine DRO.
Both work very well and I can still use the taper turning attachment. Using the DRO means the angle can be set very accurately and easily repeated (using basic trigonometry).
Please excuse the photo backgrounds!
Geoff Rogers

IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg

Latest posts

Back