Myford S7 DRO Modification

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveT

Reaction score
Hi,
My apologies if this has already been covered but I do seem to get much sense from the search function.
I'm interested in fitting DRO to my S7 and would be interested in any views on the following questions.
1 Any drawback with the Allendale/ Machine DRO embedded cross slide system?
Does the groove for the magnetic strip weaken the cross slide ?
Does swarf get between the magnetic strip and the read head ?

2The same questions also regarding the ems-i DRO system that has both the magnetic strip and read head machined into the saddle and cross slide

Regards,
Steve T

I went for option 4, a parallel motion slide built from cheap ground rod and linear bearings carrying the scale & read head outboard at the back of the lathe out of the way of the work, chips, lube, coolant etc.

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your reply. That's certainly not an option I had come across before and something I would have considered if I hadn't succumbed to buying the M-DRO embedded cross slide system from Allendale at the Midlands Model Exhibition last week.
Surprised at the lack of response to my post, is it because DRO's on a Myford S7 are not popular?
Regards,
Steve T

Instead of the lack of popularity of the Myford S7, the lack of responses may be because most of the people posting on this forum are from the west side of the big pond and don't have easy access to Myford lathes. Instead, names like Logan, South Bend, etc are what we are familiar with.

Recently fitted an embedded DRO to a Myford Super 7 without any problems, kit of bits came from Machine DRO / Allendale and was all done in a day. I was doubtful about milling a slot in the cross slide but it had to be done, it is only a couple of millimetres deep and I cannot see that it weakens it at all.

It will be interesting to learn what happens as the crosslide on the ML7 and the S7 are the weakest part of a Myford.

This is why the tee slots are small, non standard items. My first S7B bought 2nd hand was curved this why all this prattle about tee bolts was written about.
Martin Cleeve 'pulled' a tee slot and Myfords made him a STEEL crosslide.
I got a gift of a broken 'peg' from the M7 topslide where obviously broke the saddle.

Just a few comments from my past. Meantime my kind regards

Norm

Goldstar31, totally agree about size of tee slots, I was not aware of the Martin Cleeve Steel cross slide. Myford lathes are very versatile but are a bit on the flimsy side, I don’t usually clamp work to cross slide, only for cylinder boring with bar between centres, so milling a slot in bottom was lesser of two evils, the other version of cross slide readout gets in way of saddle lock and sticks up above cross slide restricting clamping. No easy answer except buy a bigger stronger lathe!

If you look at his ''Screwcutting in the Lathe', you will see a completely different crossslide to the ML7, the ML10 and the Super7B. His top slides were fixed with a single bolt.

Of course when he bought his ML7, he really only bought a part lathe from Myford and drove it with two motors and he used the old fast and loose pulley systems. I've forgotten much of the storey but it was all in Model Engineer around 1953.

He had at one point two of his swing tool holders on his crosslide. I sort of inherited one when I got my ML10. I've the metal for the screwcutting version but suffer from 'roundtuit' as most do.

Interesting stuff with no welding and out of steel sections!

Take care

Norman

Recently fitted an embedded DRO to a Myford Super 7 without any problems, kit of bits came from Machine DRO / Allendale and was all done in a day. I was doubtful about milling a slot in the cross slide but it had to be done, it is only a couple of millimetres deep and I cannot see that it weakens it at all.

Could you post a picture of it on the cros slide?
Thanks
Bob

Bob, sorry but don’t know how to post photos on here, to be honest there is not a lot to see. All you have to do is to mill a 10mm slot 2mm deep into the underside of the cross slide, degrease well and then the self adhesive encoder strip is placed into slot followed by a stainless cover strip, again with self adhesive tape on it, there is an ally tee shaped piece that has to be fitted to end of cross slide before machining slot, suggest you have a look on Machine DRO website, they have photos of ordinary and embedded versions plus a link to an article in Model Engineers Workshop where someone gives a blow by blow account of fitting.
One word of warning, before you purchase readouts for Myford 7 series machines think if you need to use the taper turning attachment or rear carriage stop, because if you fit readouts you cannot use anything that bolts to the back of the bed because the readouts use these mounting holes. Obviously the readouts could be removed and replaced but it is a pain in the a##e. Hope this helps

Baz

Baz - if you do ever want to post any pictures on here just open a window on your computer with the pictures in it then click and hold on the picture you want to add and drag them on to your post. Release the mouse button and the picture will attach to your post. If you do nothing more the image will show up at the end of your post (likely as a thumbnail only) but there will be a button in your post that you can click to position it within your text when desired. It's far easier to actually do it than explain how, so don't be afraid to have a go if you feel like it.

My first post on this site, and I'm more or less a novice, with an ML7. I've learned a lot from following the projects here.

I'm not sure if this would be a suitable solution for you. There is (or was) a retired engineer on UK Ebay who made and sold individual DROs for ML7 and S7. made from cut down digital calipers (individual to eg tailstock, topslide etc - you can/could buy one or more not necessarily at the same time. There are easily attached using mostly existing tapped holes, iirc, so nothing would be weakened. I acquired a set but have been so busy enjoying a hot southern hemisphere summer (NZ) that I haven't yet fitted them. If you are interested and can't find the person on Ebay, I will look up the details and post. Bruce

Cogsy, thanks for the info, unfortunately I am using an iPad, can you provide info for that, if not I will have to dig out the old laptop and try on that. I will give it a go but am a bit busy this weekend, mother’s day, gardening and babysitting! Have been retired for five years but still don’t have enough time.

Baz

Cogsy, thanks for the info, unfortunately I am using an iPad, can you provide info for that, if not I will have to dig out the old laptop and try on that. I will give it a go but am a bit busy this weekend, mother’s day, gardening and babysitting! Have been retired for five years but still don’t have enough time.

Baz

Sh!!! I've been retired for 35 years or as my son quips 'Longer than I have ever worked'

Big mistake, I should have retired much earlier!

N

Baz
I haven't done it on an ipad but I believe it's fairly simple too. It looks like if you click the button "upload a file" which is next to the "post reply" button, you should then be prompted to select a photo and upload it. From there it should be similar to what I wrote before. You've got nothing to lose by giving it a go - just post a test picture in this thread if you like.

F75BDB46-6524-4F49-8D31-358AE965A5D1.jpeg
CDCD5CE1-73F8-4B8F-9A0D-CC523D4FFE56.jpeg
0C7D8726-89A1-4987-B4FD-2C9642F7F997.jpeg
With a bit of luck we may have some pictures of the cross slide embedded readout

Baz

Thank you for the link and the photos.

You mentioned a rear carriage stop, not sure I ever saw one. It is one of the really pain in the neck part of the Myford, no easy way to do a traditional carriage stop. I still have not come up with a good design .

Bob

Bob, have a look at Hemmingway, (hemmingwaykits dot com) he does a lovely six position saddle stop that fits on the front right hand side of the saddle, it attaches on an extended chasing dial stud and is very simple to make. Now that I know how to post photos I will see if I can get a picture of the Hemmingway and Myford stops tomorrow.

Baz

4CE76484-1B1E-44AD-B428-0B87358B40C6.jpeg
Sorry for the delay, finally got out into workshop and got photo of Myford rear six position stop which was made to be used with their six position cross slide mounted turret. The front stop is again six position and drawings and material pack are available from Hemmingway. Must just add that I have no connection with these companies, just a satisfied customer.

Latest posts

Back