Myford S7 DRO Modification

Discussion in 'Machine Modifications' started by SteveT, Oct 16, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2018 #1

SteveT

SteveT

SteveT

Hi,
    My apologies if this has already been covered but I do seem to get much sense from the search function.
    I'm interested in fitting DRO to my S7 and would be interested in any views on the following questions.
    1 Any drawback with the Allendale/ Machine DRO embedded cross slide system?
    Does the groove for the magnetic strip weaken the cross slide ?
    Does swarf get between the magnetic strip and the read head ?

2The same questions also regarding the ems-i DRO system that has both the magnetic strip and read head machined into the saddle and cross slide

Regards,
    Steve T

2. Oct 20, 2018 #2

Nick Hulme

Nick Hulme

Nick Hulme

I went for option 4, a parallel motion slide built from cheap ground rod and linear bearings carrying the scale & read head outboard at the back of the lathe out of the way of the work, chips, lube, coolant etc.

3. Oct 21, 2018 #3

SteveT

SteveT

SteveT

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for your reply. That's certainly not an option I had come across before and something I would have considered if I hadn't succumbed to buying the M-DRO embedded cross slide system from Allendale at the Midlands Model Exhibition last week.
    Surprised at the lack of response to my post, is it because DRO's on a Myford S7 are not popular?
    Regards,
    Steve T

4. Oct 21, 2018 #4

RM-MN

RM-MN

RM-MN

Instead of the lack of popularity of the Myford S7, the lack of responses may be because most of the people posting on this forum are from the west side of the big pond and don't have easy access to Myford lathes. Instead, names like Logan, South Bend, etc are what we are familiar with.