Myford S7 Chuck Lock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all that responded.
I eventually sorted the problem by using an ER32 collet mounted on a MT2 shank secured with a spindle draw bar.
Steve T

One of my Masonic friends has a Myford ML10 like mine but seems troubled whether his motor or reversing switch is 'kaput' or worse.

I simply suggested that he buy a newer one way switch- and ignore the reverse needs or not needs!
I've a spare and know how problems exist on the old rotary switch which burms contacts and is the bane of newcomers to lathes.
I've two rotary switches but loathe to adjust, repair them- for him. He seems to have enough problems!

Oh- and I am about to have a series of hypodermic needles stuck in my good eyeball .
Laughingly, a site for sore eyes

Regards

Norm

If he is using the Dewhirst drum switch he has possibly burnt the contacts, everybody seems to switch direction under power and the arcing burns the contacts away over time. The best way is to turn off power then use drum switch to reverse direction and then re apply power. The contacts can be stoned if they are burnt plus there may be contacts inside that have not been used and could be swapped. Best of luck Norm with the needles in the eyes, I have just had needles shoved in the other end to implant 90 radioactive seeds into my prostate to treat my cancer, a bit tender in that area at the moment, certainly couldn’t ride a pushbike at the moment!

Thanks Baz. Unfortunately my guy lives some distance away and driving is very much a 'lucky bag' where the outcome of tests etc are still unknown.

Touch wood , my radical prostatitis op went well-- apart from a complete loss of my je ne sais quou!

My other jabs are for a B12 deficiency merely ruin my semaphore or flag waving at Coronations!

All is not lost, I still support local charities especially Prostate ones. So nudging 89 now , I have a nice sit on lawn mower and a recently acquired disability scooter- of doubtful age.

So keep a positive attitude, 9 minutes at the local crematorium to a puff of smoke is a poor alternative to our lesser troubles.

Happy Easter

Norm

Place a grub screw with a brass button, or (something softer than the spindle) to bind the assembly really is a good idea. M6 grub screw would work.
I always avoid reverse spindle work with a chuck on the Myford S7 where ever possible. Adding the lock pad will definitely make it safer and add a higher degree of confidence that the chuck or what ever is not going to come undone.

Annealed copper would probably be better.

How do we anneal copper? Actually, it is the complete opposite to steel in that you heat it up until it gets a greenish hue and then plunge it into water.
Of course, this is how copper soldering bits can be restored to re-tin them.

Hope this helps

Norm

How do we anneal copper? Actually, it is the complete opposite to steel in that you heat it up until it gets a greenish hue and then plunge it into water.
You can quench in water if you like but it's not necessary to quench the copper when annealing it. I normally do so I can handle the part sooner but sometimes I flame anneal a bunch and leave it to cool on its own. There's no metallurgical reason to quench.

The ER system may be good too, but I have never tried that.

It is, with a collet chuck on a back plate it gives you capacity up to and over the standard Myford spindle capacity, I use ER40 which gives me capacity up to and above my custom Super 7 30.5mm through capacity.

Hi
Running a lathe in reverse with a threaded spindle is like driving down the wrong side of the road. Sooner or later, it is going to end in tears.

It's good when a man knows his limitations, even when he falsely foists them upon his lathe ;-)

Latest posts

Back