Myford oiler - advice needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Awake
North Carolina - I worked in Greenville for a period and frequently needed to drive through NC - happy memories!
I have been using the Wanner Swiss made oil gun. The leaks occur at all the "seals". The top cap, which is easy to sort if the gun is kept vertical, the lower cap which is more difficult to fix and the seal on the plunger. When I have a moment I will make a real effort to tighten the threads and maybe use a thread sealant. My next step would be a rebuild. BUT BUT BUT why are these oil guns so bad and so far, on this forum, nobody has suggested a oil gun which works and doesn't leak.
Very frustrating
Mike
Now why would they want to deprive us of the challenge to put our machining ingenuity to work to fix the defects in their products? :(

Now why would they want to deprive us of the challenge to put our machining ingenuity to work to fix the defects in their products? :(
This issue was discussed earlier this year and someone suggested an oiler from H&W Machine. I bought one and it has not leaked a drop stored nose down on my Myford stand. The nose has a flexable washer in it. I think if the disc/washer was made smaller it might work better but the oiler is great if a little pricey. www.machineryparts.com

Is this a new feature that includes some or all the previous post? Don't care for it because sometimes I want to reply to a note further up the string. Comments??

20221209_151729.jpg
20221209_151805.jpg
20221209_151911.jpg
20221209_152006.jpg
20221209_152028.jpg

Charles. Just so you know, the feed dial is a device which converts, via gearing, the 125division rotation to 100 divisions ie one rotation advances the saddle by 0.1inch instead of 0.125inch. It was supplied by Hemmingway Kits but I can no longer see it on their web site. As I recall it was supplied complete and the availability was rather erratic. It is a great addition to the Myford but these days my DRO has taken over!
Mike

For what it's worth, no regrets over spending the money and not having to fool with an oil can. Only drawback is the top oh ring is junk. Easy fix. The gentleman who runs Reilang was an exchange student to the US once. Very responsive and open to ideas.

Reilang R003 MERKUR Precision ball Oiler with Double Pump
Bought it to use on my mill, but it will push oil through any ball oiler.
Also can be found on eBay.

Ron

Guys
At last I have solved the leaking Myford Oiler issue. To backtrack, I have purchased about 4 oilers in the past and they have all been junk. My latest is a Swizz made Wanner - expensive but well made. It also leaks. The problem is the pressure expanding seal in the barrel. Under pressure the seal works great but with no pressure oil seeps past the seal causing the leak. I looked into introducing O rings into the plunger which would have solved the problem but very difficult to implement.

Solution:- I empty the oiler when not in use usually over the slideways. To use I fill with a few cc of oil.

I guess its the obvious answer - problem solved.

Moral to story:- start with a complicated solution and keep refining down to a simple solution!

Mike

I have one at my job that was purchased for an older Bridgeport mill, and it leaks very little. Tat being said, It is an OILER. It has oil in it. It leaks. It is made so that the cap is on one end, and the sliding spout is on the other and the motion of compressing the spout forces the oil in.

Here is the URL for the one we have - Push N Lube Pump for Zerk Base | 12PB20

I have tried the syringe and old pump oilers on my old Myford ML7 lathe, Steve Jordan on youtube has worked on the problem
some..

Latest posts

Back