Myford Closing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max corrigan

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Myford going into liquidation,apparently they are having a closing down sale! or is this i hope just a rumour going around
Maybe someone can shed some light on this!!
Regards Max...........

Well, that's another institution going. Sadly though I would never have purchased a new machine from myfords, especially when there are so many immaculate examples on the second hand market. My ML7 from the 60's/70's is still churning out relatively decent stuff for its size.

I hope some keen business person snaps up the drawings/tooling for all the spares as I'm sure there will be a thriving market for many years to come. I know if I had the capitol I would be seeking those out rather than fighting over the remaining stocks.

RIP Myford, you will be missed :'(

My ML7 from the 60's/70's is still churning out relatively decent stuff for its size.

me to, made this on my trusty ML7, think its an early 60's model. sad to see them go.

album_pic.php.jpg

album_p.php.jpg

It is sad to see this happening...

Pity they are not offering anything for sale online for those of us that do not live in the U.K.
I am sure they would make a lot more money.

Andrew

While I have never owned a Myford, its glowing reviews and work put out by its owners has garnered my respect. My deepest sympathies. :'(

So it seems to be true then! a sad end to an to the Myford era! i will have to look on my old worn out S7 with more care now that it is an orphan :(
Regards Max...........

Before any of you chaps start the long trip to Myford this weekend, there is a rumour that the sale is off as the stock has been bought by a dealer. A friend posted this info on the ME site but it has now disappeared, perhaps the w**ker in charge at that forum is more paranoid than was first thought.
Ned

** of course stands for "or". I do not wish it to be thought that i was insulting the conscientious gentleman concerned. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myford
A couple of above posts show ML7 from 1960/70s era. The link (if ive done it correctly) shows ML7 made from 1934 to 1953 when it changed to Super7. Did they make both models post 1953?

HerbieV

They were certainly still making the ML7 in 1971. I bought a new ML7/T in April that year

The S7 was around at that time. A bit expensive though. With the chucks, motor and a few other bits I think I paid around £140.

Dave

Ned Ludd said:
Before any of you chaps start the long trip to Myford this weekend, there is a rumour that the sale is off as the stock has been bought by a dealer. A friend posted this info on the ME site but it has now disappeared, perhaps the w**ker in charge at that forum is more paranoid than was first thought.
Ned

** of course stands for "or". I do not wish it to be thought that i was insulting the conscientious gentleman concerned. ;D

he's had his blue pencil out again, but the last post states someone has called in to myford's and RDG have apparently bought up the stock of spares

these are not my view and i cannot support the comments

Stuart

It will be very sad to see them go. Alot of people honed there skills behind those hand wheels.

Dave

It is sad to see the old iron company go. But in the today world of production CNC machines comparatively cheap imports for the hobby market, I can not say I totally surprised. I hope the resurrection of south bend by Grizzly Lasts . still imports but appear to be high quality.
Tin

To be honest,I always felt the Myford lathes to be rather overpriced for their size and capabilities,especially secondhand.It's only since the ready availability of the chinese imports that used Myfords have found a more realistic level.
I'm not criticizing Myford quality,which is undoubtedly higher than import stuff,but to get a comparably equipped new machine,you had to pay more than double the price for a myford.Not many private buyers can afford that.
I'll get me coat............... ;D

Well I really have to agree with you Hans - I've had an ML7 since 1979, and while it is a good machine it was way too dear then (3rd hand) Realistically they were of just too good a quality for what they are in today's world!

tel said:
Well I really have to agree with you Hans - I've had an ML7 since 1979, and while it is a good machine it was way too dear then (3rd hand) Realistically they were of just too good a quality for what they are in today's world!

What surprises me is Hercus is still hanging on. I wonder what their secret is as IMHO they are a nice machine comparable in quality to Myford but way way way overpriced. I guess while TAFE and others keep buying them with tax payer dollars they will be OK.

Best Regards
Bob

Meanwhile my search for a reasonably priced 9" Hercus 'A' continues .....

They are expensive, but, comparatively speaking, cheaper than the Myfords.

This is getting interesting

I have just got off the phone from RDG and I have been told ( and I have been given permission to Quote ) that they have the spare and the myford name and will be opening a web site in a few weeks to sell the spares under the myford name

Stuart

As far as Hercus is concerned it appears they are no longer manufacturing lathes. Their main business seems to be gear cutting in in various forms i.e. making special gearboxes and large 1 off gears. Plus they are doing "general" machine shop work also in large units. I see thay have released a chip guard for the 260 at a price of $499

http://www.hercus.com.au/260-metal-lathe-interlock-chip-guard/

A new 260 at that price must come to something over $10,000 which is a lot of money for a 10" lathe.

I have owned 3 - 9" Hercus lathe's, first one had past its use by date when I bought it, so disposed of it and bought a new ARF cloesly followed by a new turrent or capstan if you prefer. I had these until I sold the business. Also had at one stage a used Myford Super 7 with just about every imaginable attachment most of which I never used and some didn't know what they were for. For its time the Myford was indeed a super little lathe.

Unfortunately Australia are no longer compatative in machine manufacture. Initially it was Japan, then Tiawan and a few Indain machines and now mainland China. Where from next????

Barry G

Barry G is right. Hercus stopped making lathes in around about 2003 or so. I went to the auction when they got rid of all the machinery used for making machine tools. I got my first lathe there, a Russian "Uni 3" for about 1/2 price. It was very sad to see another empty factory.
I notice that Hercus are still selling secondhand machines however.
cheers
Bill Pudney
Adelaide, Australia

Back