My Week this Week, My workshop videos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some weeks I get loads done, and some weeks are like this week! Some progress is made with projects, and I almost finish making a table/stand for the J&S bench centres, mainly so I can get them off the bench and onto a stand where they can be used! I WILL do better next week, At least its nice and warm in the shop!
Phil, i
In bitterly cold East Yorkshire. Wheres global warming when you need it?

In which I finish the bench for the Jones and Shipman bench centres, finish the adapter for the pipe bender, and actually get back to bending the exhaust for the Toro 2CV tractor, which I started about 4 weeks ago! In another lifetime at school, I only once got lines, and mine were "I must concentrate on the job in hand" That teacher knew me really well!!
Phil, in Wintry East Yorkshire.

I get at least half of the exhaust done, and the other half planned, and then I fit the grass deck and realise that there is nowhere near as much free space now, and when the grass deck and the front axle pivot from side to side to follow the terrain, most of that free space dissapears anyway! I have to rethink the other half. See it big, keep it simple!
Phil, in misty mysterious East Yorkshire

Hi Phil...Yes lifes like that...my weeks sometimes start with so much promise.....but life and family and other jobs get in the way.... Most importantly....what happened with the auction?
Great to see your 'trials and tribulations'

Best

Geoff

The auction? when I got to it in the evening there was only a few items I was interested in, but my bro did ok, got three tap/die sets, all good english makes, but missed a Union industrial sewing machine(he makes aircraft covers www.cambraicovers.com)It went for more than he was willing to risk on an unviewed auction. There was a chinese Deckel type T&C grinder, but the collets and accesories were in a seperate lot, and the grinder alone made £200, you can buy a complete new one with all the accesories for £400, so I didn't have a punt! Auctions aint what they used to be! In better times virtually everything was bought by people who turned up on the day with cash, and there were unbelievable bargains to be had if you could do that. Today it all goes to internet buyers, and so people don't bother going (even when you can). The only certainty is change! Thanks for the comment!
Phil

This week I actualy finish the exhaust I have been procrastinating for nearly two weeks over it, and as my late mate Alfred would have said, in his thick Dutch accent, procrastination is the thief of time". I will do better now that is out of the way!
Phil, in unseasonably mild East Yorkshire.

Thank you, hope you are all well and happy, and seasons greetings to you all, stay well!
Phil

The last gasp up to the holidays, but I got far more done than I thought I would, and have got even more ideas for after Christmas, I will be back in the shop in early January, unless it snows, in which case it is anybodies guess as the Langtoft road is particularly treachorous in snow, and it can block up and be impassable in less than 30 minutes! As I type this there is a storm brewing which will bring Greenlands weather straight onto the west coast of the UK, so snow could be a distinct possibility! Have a good holiday and keep safe! All the best! Phil, in a distinctly colder East Yorkshire

Hope you have all had a good time and are refreshed and relaxed and ready to brave the weather and go back to work? No neuther sm I!! I am taking eldest back to Uni on the 6th(thats the plan at the moment anyway) and will be back in the workshop for more fun and games on the 11th, Thanks you all for watching, please subscribe and comment, and all of you stay safe and lets have a better 2021!
Phil

Well folks, I dragged myself back to work after a pleasant Christmas break, got the air filter finished, and made progres generally, but then, the starter is no longer able to spin the engine! that will teach me not to to fit new rings, and grind the valves in! Too much compression for a starter that is designed to start a 15hp single cylinder engine! I think I have pushed the boat out too far, and too fast, and then tried to jump in, and the obvious has happened! The new starter arrives tomorrow! Thanks for watching, and a strappy new year to you all!
Phil Slip sliding away on the ice in East Yorkshire.

Last edited:
I like doing big work.
Once you have your setup just set your cut and have good day.
Most do not know it can take hours for ruff cuts and longer for finishe cut and all you do is sit and watch the cut with your newspaper or smart phone.

Dave

FYI I still have my tools ( 24" Crescent wrench 10 pound harmer and 1" dial indicator).
Never drop the part on your hand or foot it will be a bad. I can still count to 20.

Hi boys and girls, still not feeling quite right, but almost there! I did nothing this week, due to the storms and the wind howling round, so I have put together a slideshow of one of our late great engineering works, Doxford and Sons, of Sunderland, Marine engine builders. There is a link at the end to a silent colour amatuer film of the works in action. They built their last engine in 1980. Like, comment, subscribe, and as always, enjoy it!
Phil
Determined to get back to work next week cos i'm bored!
East Yorkshire

Last edited:
Its on! The week went quite well after I stopped procrastinating and just got on and did it! Another breakthrough was the fact that I realised that the vee belt was dragging in the pulley, and stopping the engine spinning properly at start up. This is the belt which is the correct size for the clutch drive, but is obviously too tight for jockey pulley running, I need to see my belt man and get one a couple of inches longer. Thanks for watching, please like and subscribe!
Phil, In frosty but fine East Yorkshire!

Another week of finishing off and troubleshooting on the Toro 2CV. I eventually got to the bottom of the carb fault, but it meant taking the carb body off again, which means it is going to get a thorough clean and shakedown before it goes back on. Thanks for watching, and don't forget to subscribe, like and comment!
Phil, in soggy East Yorkshire

At last! The engine, mainly the carburettor, is sorted. multiple problems have been fixed, and now she starts easily, ticks over slowly and throttles up smoothly. I can now get on with the finishing off! Need new alternator bearings, they are noisy, and the new coil will arrive next week. If only I could find that ignition switch!!! Thanks for watching, please subscribe and comment.
Phil, East Yorkshire has snow and ice warnings!!

Well folks, the week started badly, with bitter cold and snow, and ended better, with bitter cold, snow, and a new to me Holbrook Model B Number 9!! It must be said that a lathe is about the only thing that would get me out in this weather, and I nearly froze, but it was worth it! The lathe is now stripped, and all the bits are at the workshop, except the bed, chip pan and legs, which we will collect next week, with the big trailer. Thank you all for watching, please comment, like and subscribe, and don't forget to ring the bell, or you wont get notified when a new video comes out!
Phil. Perishing cold East Yorkshire

The bed and legs were collected on Tuesday, in a misfiring Volvo estate and trailer, and then negiotoated up the yard, much fun and stress ensued, but we did it without wrecking the bed or straining any foofoo valves!.....or videoing it, it took to long and was too scary! I have decided that next week, with the improving weather, I shall get in earlier, and try to split my time between the Toro Tractor, and the Holbrook. It will be interesting to see if willpower overcomes tinker power!
Phil, In almost springlike East Yorkshire

A week of triumphs and tragedies, I get more done on the Toro bonnet, I get a computer for the workshop, my cousins Volvo fails its emmission tests, it's off a valve, the monitor quits on the new computer. The workshop gets very tidy, and after much faffing about, the bonnet fits properly! It,s all in a weeks work, winter is over, and we are waiting for spring proper to kick in! Thanks for watching and commenting, please subscribe, and click the bell and the likes button.
Phil, in Glorious February sunshine!

A world of a difference this week, I am in somone elses workshop! Normally he would do this work for us, but he is so busy that he couldn't do it for two weeks, but he suggested that we work together on the car, and he can keep his other customers happy as well. He was away Friday, so I spent some time on the Tractor, and went home early to get a covid jab, I can feel my second head growing as I type!! Thanks for watching, and don't forget to subscribe and ring the bell to get all my new releases straight to your youtube!
Phil, Back to cold weather in East Yorkshire!

The Volvo saga comes to a succesful conclusion, I spend a couple of days in the workshop with an old mate fixing some of his antique militaria, and Friday plunder! My good friends across the road appear to have left, and have brought across the last of their bits and peices, all usefull stuff, and happily recieved. I hope they get sorted with their new house, and the new job that he has gone to goes well!, Also the chap I am doing the antique repairs for is clearing his garage, and he brought me a load as well , all useful stuff he can't bear to throw out, so he has fetched it over so I can do it! Thank you all for watching, liking, and of course subscribing! I am getting more than one new subscriber every day now, 34 new people in the last 28 days, welcome aboard to all of you, and thankyou!
Phil, in wet but warmer East Yorkshire.

Latest posts

Back