My Week this Week, My workshop videos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You young kids today!!
In Tucson, we've passed 30 days in a row over 105 F. And a lot of those days were over 110.
I keep a campfire burning outside, so I can cool off by standing in it.
I do all my heat-treating on the cement outside.
(Also, the wolves here are bigger than anywhere else here, too!)
AND, it's uphill BOTH WAYS to my shop!
Yes, I have a friend who lives there--says it gets hotter than that. Even so, when one is used to a mere 90deg, 103 is super hot. It DOES get to 112 here usually for a week each year--not this year however. Very cool for a summer. Yeah, I know, I had to trudge 12 miles to school every day in the snow, uphill both ways. And the snow was whiter then too. Thanx for calling me 'young', too.

Thank God it only uphill to shop.
The heat is not to bad if you had foundry the metal is half way heated.

The wolves are license or they will go to pokey.

Dave

You young kids today!!
In Tucson, we've passed 30 days in a row over 105 F. And a lot of those days were over 110.
I keep a campfire burning outside, so I can cool off by standing in it.
I do all my heat-treating on the cement outside.
(Also, the wolves here are bigger than anywhere else here, too!)
AND, it's uphill BOTH WAYS to my shop!

I hope you have low humidity or that will bad 🙂😅

Dave

I live in the Soviet of Washington, the temp here was 103 for a few days. I had to work in the corn harvesting. Not to worry--Air Con cab in the harvestor. But we have to get out of the cab once a day to wash the outside. Even 20 minutes is exhausting in the heat.

Ignore the title folks, just an algoritham experiment! STILL waiting on deliveries, but despite the black dog this week ended on a high note, the second two pushrod tubes are out without much problem, and next week I will be rebuilding the engine (when my piston ring compressor arrives) Be sure to see what we found under the trestle table that was in the shed, quite an interesting bit of military history! I ramble on a bit this week, please bear with me and try to like, subscribe and Comment, even if it is only to shout "Stop procrastinating and GET ON WITH IT!!!"
Phil
Its not raining today, at the moment anyway,
East Yorkshire

Phil
I delivered fuel to service station for a short time in my life and an older gentleman had his own truck, he had two speeds, slow and you know what the other one was.
Do not let all the bad comments bother you, if they were busy on their projects they would not have time to complain.
Good luck and much progress.
Nelson

Thanks Nelson! Onward and upward.
Phil
East Yorkshire
UK

I take it he was super fast.
I agree with you do not let the bad comments bother you.

Dave

Phil
I delivered fuel to service station for a short time in my life and an older gentleman had his own truck, he had two speeds, slow and you know what the other one was.
Do not let all the bad comments bother you, if they were busy on their projects they would not have time to complain.
Good luck and much progress.
Nelson

Monday was the last day of my 7 day lockdown after my positive covid test, so I was back in the shop Tuesday, suffering from day confusion, a known sympton of disturbed routine! 4 days on the tractor, and a good amount of progress. I always think that it its best to tackle the hardest part of any project first, and this week the starter was started, a puzzling problem was overcome, and the starter was finished.
Phil, Mutch Swettin on the Wolds
East Yorkshire

Glad you got through Covid OK! It has taken a HUGE toll on older people here in the U.S. Be careful in your recovery, as it is shown that it weakens a person considerably.

I only did a test because the wife was doing one, and got a surprise I didn't want, but had no symptoms at all! Another test two weeks later was negative, I am 68 so I guess I count as "older people" but I had nothing that you would even call a heavy cold. The people who are realy suffering are the older people with long term health conditions, and those who need to be in care homes where they are in close contact with their fellows and can't isolate. I consider myself very lucky. Thanks for all the comments guys, good and otherwise, at least it means that even the detractors are watching it!
Phil

Victory at last! I finish making the pushrod tubes and the retainers, and get them fitted, more parts arrive, and the barrels and pistons go back on! She is going back together. Soon I will be able to refit the broken exhaust manifold and weld the pipe up, thus fixing the reason that all this nightmare happened. Watch, like, subscribe, comment, be amazed that I finally stopped procrastinating and got stuck into it!
Phil
Autumnal, but still quite warm, East yorkshire

Last edited:
i have a son who for resoms best known to him wants a LHD Deux Chevaux------ and expects me a 90 to give restoration lessons---------------------and money.:)
The other one has been sitting on the end of Flamborough Head

I wouldn't have a LHD one unless I wanted to tour the continent, but they do grow on you! when I did garage repairs at my workshop in the seventies, I used to service a couple of 2cv's for customers, and generally thought them to be a PITA, but then I got to drive one for 60 miles, and it was fun! An opportunity came up, and I bought one, and before long had four of them, and at least another four which I broke for spares, just wish I had kept a spare engine!, bodies and chassis (fit a new one from 2CV city in Bradford) are a pain, but mechanically they are brilliant. Had a girlfriend who suffered with a dodgy back which meant she could not tolerate long car journeys, except in a 2CV which she insisted was the most comfortable car she had ever ridden in! They are a lightweight car made from thin metal, so unfortunately they are rotboxes, but with the roof open on a sunny day, they are such fun to drive!
Phil

Thanks Phil but my son HAS a place in the Dordogne- and it would live there.
Of course, he was studying in France in the Jura at Bescancon for the 4th year and we bought him a Twingo to travel from there to Newcastle upon Tyne. Never bothered him a bit but I taught him and his sister to drive when they were 14- on our LHD car in Menorca:)

He's just coming out of quarantine again having driven up a RHD which is also a PITA.

I always had an urge to bring a Noddy version of the SEAT 600 home together with a donor 600. The price was unrealistic and it ended up as infill in in the local football ground in Cala En Porter, Menorca.

There were only 32 built-- and I was doing a City and Guilds in Motor Vehicle Restoration!

I've still got his mother's Mercedes SLK 230 which was handed on to my daughter in law( his wife)

His French is so good that he was working in a French firm in London( with the Twingo there) and went home for Christmas but was asked to bring back some wine from the Loire.- by a French colleague. He offered to bring Newcastle Brown Ale instead;).

Trials and tragedies, the ups and downs of another week in my workshop! The 2CV engine goes back together, the broken exhaust manifold which started this sorry tale gets welded, and the whole project shudders slowly forwards. Laugh, cry, subscribe, comment, but thanks for watching, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I haven't enjoyed making it! I WILL get there in the end!
Phil
Summer is switched off on the 31 of August in East Yorkshire

Last edited:
Yes folks, engine back in and almost running, and for once it almost all goes smoothly. It is a good thing that I did go this far into the engine, because if I hadn't, the corroded oil cooler and oil feed pipes would have ensured that the engine had a life of about 20 minutes! It will run early next week! Make comments, give me a like, and please subscribe.
Phil,
in warm and sunny East Yorkshire!

Thanks for watching Maybach_man, it will be running very soon now!
Phil
East Yorkshire, UK

I start the week baffled by a non running engine, find the fault (eventually) and now it runs every time! It is not right yet, but a lot can happen when a carburettor is stood empty for 20 years! I finish off with some boring on the lathe, as the next 2cv engine job is to make the exhaust pipes, which means I heed to get my hydraulic bender working! No Futurama jokes please! I think I feel a pipe bender stand coming on hext week. Like, subscribe comment and enjoy watching a bumbling idiot at work!
Phil
Heavily Autumnal East Yorkshire

As they say in Yorkshire, this weeks video is "Neether nowt ner summat" It has been an unsettling experiecne watching my eldest who has Apergers syndrome, start university at York, thankfully, although she was very nervous about going, as soon as we arrived, and she met the people she had been talking to on facetime for a couple of weekd, she was fine, and I have almost recovered from the loss as well! Still I got both tyres off the tractor, and one back on, started the bender stand, fitted two LED floodlamps, and extenced the burglar alarm system! Like, subdcribe, enjiy clap, and throw money!
Phil
A rainy day in East Yorkshire.

Latest posts

Back