My Week this Week, My workshop videos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to work, only half days for the present, but two interesting repairs, and more progress on a longer term project, the Socome Mig welder, enjoy, subscribe, like comment, staying in watching my videos and subscribing help to prevent virus transmission!!
Stay safe people!
Phil, East Yorkshire

This week I advance several tech levels, The mig welder works, the wheelhorse gets started again, and I finally get my tap plumbed in by the front door, and fix a pressure washer! Enjoy! I did!! like, subscribe and make nice positive comments...........or not
Phil
Sunny and hot in East Yorkshire!

This week I rebuild the wire feed tensioner on the Socome mig welder, and fit the Eurotorch conversion kit I got from Techarc. Unfortunately the bearings which I need for it did not come till late Friday, so I will be fitting them and testing the welder next week. It worked out very well! please subscribe, like, comment and enjoy!
Phil. Very hot in East Yorkshire!

This week I finish the wire feed, test the welder, remove, repair and refit the lid, discover a problem on the Colchester, and we are nearly ready for paint! I bought a MT3 test bar from RDG, which came Friday, no casters yet, but I hope they will come over the weekend, Like, comment, and please subscribe, but above all, enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!
Phil, Steamy and damp East Yorkshire!

This week I get the welder on its roof, remove several hundredweight of metal and three huge cast wheels, and fit some new swivel castors, and a new bottle shelf, several late starts this week, but by Friday, it was back on its new wheels! Enjoy, like subscribe, comment, but above all wear a mask and stay safe!
Phil, East Yorkshire in the Monsoon!

HI All,
This week Workshop becomes paintshop as I spray the welder and the Jones and Shipmaqn bench centres, and I get them both finished, and check out the RDG lathe test bar Enjou. like and subscribe! it has been a good week, on Wednesday I thought it was Tuesday, and I spent most of Thursday dozing in the Car park at HRI while Cath had a chest Xray and tests before getting the all clear! Life gpes on!
Phil, Dripping East Yorkshire

Hi all,
This week I get the test bar into the colchester lathe to check the headstock alignment, and also check the Covmac lathe. Some finishing off on the Socome welder, and then onto the Toro wheelhors tractor to continue the new transmission set up, , Friday afternoon, went to help Keith do a tip run and didn't get home till 8-00, hence this video being uploaded on Saturday! I'll explain the disaster next week!
Phil, Scorching East Yorkshire!

More work on the Colchester, and vast improvements made to the fit of the bush and test bar into the spindle nose, and this week I start to get to grips with the 2CV engined Toro Wheelhorse, and then PLUNDER! HA HARR!Got a tip off about some gear that was available, and got it fer next to nowt! Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe to my channel, and I thank you all for watching my antics!
Phil, Mutch Dripping on the Wolds'
East Yorkshire.

That is a big model engine.
It may not fit in your home

Dave

Hi boys and girls, still not feeling quite right, but almost there! I did nothing this week, due to the storms and the wind howling round, so I have put together a slideshow of one of our late great engineering works, Doxford and Sons, of Sunderland, Marine engine builders. There is a link at the end to a silent colour amatuer film of the works in action. They built their last engine in 1980. Like, comment, subscribe, and as always, enjoy it!
Phil
Determined to get back to work next week cos i'm bored!
East Yorkshire

More work on the Wheelhorse, a slight setback with a wobbly shaft, but nothing a man with two lathes and no idea can't fix! And then!! disaster, I did a covid 19 test on Monday, and got a text Wednesday Morning to say That Catherine was negative, and mine was positive! Like it was telling me something I didnt already know, although given that my life is one of self isolation in the workshop so what?, well, now I can't go for seven days, by which time the government deems me to be recovered, or at least, not infectious, but the rest of the household has to lock down for 14 days! We live in interesting times!
Phil,
East Yorkshire Monsoon season has begun!

Monday was the last day of my 7 day lockdown after my positive covid test, so I was back in the shop Tuesday, suffering from day confusion, a known sympton of disturbed routine! 4 days on the tractor, and a good amount of progress. I always think that it its best to tackle the hardest part of any project first, and this week the starter was started, a puzzling problem was overcome, and the starter was finished.
Phil, Mutch Swettin on the Wolds
East Yorkshire

Lots of disturbances this week, and call outs to other jobs, I must think on and video some of them! Toro tractor moves forward apace....til Friday, when I discover an accumulation of minor disasters, but we shall overcome! Mustn't say too much as shearing the bolt off was entirely my fault, I used heat on the second one and it came free without incident, I was trying to take a short cut because I couldnt get the screws out which hold the rubber shrouds round the engine and therefore couldn't use heat or they would melt... short cuts often lead to the place I now find myself in!! Onward, and hopefully upward! Despite all these setbacks, I am still not considering a career in Accountancy! Phil, Sunshine and showers, very very heavy showers! East Yorkshire

Sometimes, in life, you have to make something a whole lot worse in order to make it better, this might be one of thise times! I have decided that if it is worth doing at all, my integrity demands that it is done properly, or as a mate of mine would say to almost any problem, "just throw money at it"! I have now reached the bottom of the pit of despair, and the 2CV engine, and myself are well on the way to recovery. It is a good thing that I got a replacement oil delivery pipe, because taking the old one off on Friday, I noticed it was pitted and leaking. I can't realy complain much, as it has been stood about twenty years waiting for me to get a round Tuit! Like, subscribe, comment, but above all LAUGH, as someone elses expense!
Phil, Hot and humid in the jungles of Deepest East Yorkshire!

Just when I thought that it couldn't get any worse, it did, not a problem, but an engineering challenge (he said, being positive!) Cylinder glaze busting, lapping and valve grinding, and then something completely different, commando gardening at my late aunts house, with cousin Keith! that was my week, that was! Enjoy, comment, like or even subscribe, and be amazed!
Phil
East Yorkshire, Awaiting the return of the monsoon!

This is last weeks vid which I somehow didn't post here! Sorry folks!

This week I fit some lights over the bench and the lathes, and also do an instructional on fitting a thread replacement helicoil thread kit. most of the 2CV parts have arrived now, but pushrod tubes are out of stock till next wednesday, but I have all I need to rebuild one side! The extra light will improve the quality of the videos, now all I need to improve is the content! Phil, Great Swelterin on the wolds East Yorkshire.

Hi all, this week we finish the emormous garden (63m x 23m) at my late aunts house, and I also spens a day doing the same at my Mothers. Some of the 2CV parts arrive, and I fixed the innertube, which I had caught with the tyre lever :-( Hope you enjoy it, it has made a change from the usual, and has cleared my head of the frustrations we all suffer from when dealing with mechanical devices! Onward and upward! Like, comment, subscribe, enjoy!
Phil, East Yorkshire under storm Ellen!

How hot is it where you live .
Last week it was 112°F [44.4°C] here and 120 miles away it was 130°F [54.4°C]. The bad news the forest fires has cooled down the temperature down to the low 100's

Dave

Sometimes, in life, you have to make something a whole lot worse in order to make it better, this might be one of thise times! I have decided that if it is worth doing at all, my integrity demands that it is done properly, or as a mate of mine would say to almost any problem, "just throw money at it"! I have now reached the bottom of the pit of despair, and the 2CV engine, and myself are well on the way to recovery. It is a good thing that I got a replacement oil delivery pipe, because taking the old one off on Friday, I noticed it was pitted and leaking. I can't realy complain much, as it has been stood about twenty years waiting for me to get a round Tuit! Like, subscribe, comment, but above all LAUGH, as someone elses expense!
Phil, Hot and humid in the jungles of Deepest East Yorkshire!

Last edited:
Well Dave, it is nowhere near that hot here! We say it is hot when it gets over 70f, and the hottest it ever gets is the very low eighties. we occasionally get one day one place, usually in the southern UK, temps in the low nineties, but they are usually, for some unknown reason, measured at Heathrow airport, on the edge of the biggest "heat island" in the country (London) and which has dozens of mainly glass buildings with their aircons pumping heat into their surroundings, before you even consider the jets landing and taking off every few minutes!
Like most people, it is the humidity that gets me, we get a lot of rain alternating with the heat, and it gets very sticky out in the wilds of Yorkshire!
Phil

How hot is it where you live .
Last week it was 112°F [44.4°C] here and 120 miles away it was 130°F [54.4°C]. The bad news the forest fires has cooled down the temperature down to the low 100's

Dave
I live in the Soviet of Washington, the temp here was 103 for a few days. I had to work in the corn harvesting. Not to worry--Air Con cab in the harvestor. But we have to get out of the cab once a day to wash the outside. Even 20 minutes is exhausting in the heat.

You young kids today!!
In Tucson, we've passed 30 days in a row over 105 F. And a lot of those days were over 110.
I keep a campfire burning outside, so I can cool off by standing in it.
I do all my heat-treating on the cement outside.
(Also, the wolves here are bigger than anywhere else here, too!)
AND, it's uphill BOTH WAYS to my shop!

Latest posts

Back