My Week this Week, My workshop videos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

hermetic

Reaction score
just checked my manual, no warning in there either but that is what I will do when I get the new element in, it is costing £61 inc vat and delivery, but it is just the wire coil, not the chamber as well! Not cheap , but it you split the cost by the number of heats you get, it could be ok !It was the fastest pour ever! up to temp in 30 minutes from cold, and poured and shut off in 40! I was so pleased with it, and so pissed when it quit!
Phil

hermetic

Reaction score
Last weeks video, which I didn't seem to have posted properly?
A long video with a lot in it! I get down to the nitty gritty of some repairs on the SC box and selectors, quite a lot of lathecam on the covmac, but had to go to the colchester for knurling due to centre height! and get some paint on, Lots of polishing and washing goes on, and I realise the value of scotchbrite for polishing metals! I almost got 5 days in! Phil, a wet week followed by a Friday scorcher in East Yorkshire!

hermetic

Reaction score
A shorter vid this week which starts with gratuitous tumble dryer repairs, same dryer, different fault! cracked drum pivot (caused by stretch belt?) and then on to the Holbrook and a week of stripping, cleaning and repairing. One cannot fail to be impressed by the build quality of this machine. 92 years after its construction, and after quite a tough life, it is still in amazing condition! Phil, in sunny but slightly autumnal East Yorkshire

hermetic

Reaction score
A short week, but I have turned the corner and started on the rebuild! new bearing felts, making a new bull pin, and the slightly fiddly task of assembling it all by myself without damaging anything, or scratching the bearings! It actually turned out easier than I thought once I got it all fitted up on the bench, then on to the bed, a couple of hours, and a revelation later I got the cams adjusted, and it all went together a treat!
Phil, Back to summer in
East Yorkshire!

hermetic

Reaction score
A good week with a lot of progress, the headstock bearings get adjuster correctly after some sage advice from the Holbrook Sage! Various broken bits get fixed, and various bodges are exposed! I remove the old pin from the back gear shaft, repair it and drill and fit a new one, I strip and clean the top slide and the cross slide, and eventually repair the missing pin from the topslide nut plus lots of other bits cleaned and fitted
Phil, A fair week and a Friday storm in East Yorkshire!