My Way two cylinder steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadora

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day friends .
Please allow me to introduce my new engine which is first part for my long time project -steam tractor crane.
I have designed this engine in a bit different way //my fantasy// and used my own castings .
Two cylinders double action steam engine bore - 20mm stroke - 28mm .
Double ball bearings per each con rod and each main crankshaft housing.
Cylinders are insulated in housing by rock insulation wool to eliminate temperature losses.
Two rings per piston all rustles screws. Lowest working pressure 0.2 bar.
For steam distribution I have used disc steam chest //maybe not correct word//.
Thank you for watching.
P1020274.JPG
P1020275.JPG
P1020277.JPG
P1020278.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice design. I like how you have the guide rods working double duty as stands for the cylinder body.

As for boilers. may I recommend you go the water tube route. It's far safer than a fire tube. The water under pressure is far less and the outer housing acts as a shield if there is rapid unintentional disassembly.

My large boiler is a water tube and it works ok. I do have issues with wet steam, so if I were to do it again, I'd add some type of steam dome and a superheating line. If you check Youtube, you can find several water tube designs.

...Ved.

thank you
I have built this engine only from my imagination so I had only few hand rough drawings
No plan for engine.
Firstly I build this engine with Scottish yokes but I was disapointed from
huge friction so I rebuilt it for normal con rods.
Vederstein your advice comes too late because I have nearly finished vertical boiler
but thank you for your effort to help me.
Sending picture from propane butane gas fired boiler.
2020-12-06-3405.jpg

Back