My very first Webster Petrol IC Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gus,
Great job on the Webster, I knew that something that good looking would run like a champ.

Bill

Webbie after running in, now has very good compression.Hand spin starting not possible with this high compression. The valves and piston rings did seat in and very well too.

Gus, hold the intake valve open with finger and handspin the flywheel fast enough and release the intake valve, the engine will start. ;)

Hi Art and Bill,

Thanks for the support and congrats.
Plan to put in O.S. Radio Control Carb as advised by Joe Webster to enhance engine performance. Gus just cannot resist
the temptation of Vroom Vrooming the engine. Still struggling with Photobucket to post Video.

After this ,over the next two months,Webbie will place on top of the Canon Colour Printer on the PC desk with Gus
glowing,gloating and crowing over the hard won three month battle making and trying to start a very unforgiving Webbie who wants
everyting right or else it won't perform.:wall:

Bad luck struck poor Webbie and Gus the entire day.

Two adapters for OS Carb went to the "rag & bone man". Put the third piece at 11 am.
With adapter and OS carb done,proceed to spin. Battery went flat. No problem. Recharge battery. Starter won't spin. Battery dead.
No sweat. Bought new "Made In China" 7.2AH battery. Spun Webbie. Played with carb fuel jet setting to no avail. OK Check for Sparks.
Contact Point no sparks. Check spark plug for sparks no sparks. Clean contact points. Still no spark.
Suspect HT Coil shorted.
Was full of high hopes for enhanced engine performance with O.S. Radio Control Carb.
Will run over to motor car spare part shops for HT Coil. Bet you. The entire shop guys will be laughing at old man looking for Dinosaur HT Coil.:hDe:
What an anti-climax. Lost one great day to spin Webbie.:wall:

IMG_2145.jpg

Gus,
My boss would be touting the great Bosch Blue. I think I put one in my 142 Volvo.
Art

Hi Gurus,
Gus goofed. Did following to double confirm HT Coil failure.
1. Check contact gap. Due to vibration gone beyond 20 thou.
2. Spin Webbie to confirm presence of sparks. Got very good sparks and a very good shock too to confirm HT source OK.
3. Move Fuel Jet Needle 1/4 turn till engine started.Tuned engine to high speed. Throttle down to idling speed.

OK got her tuned and idle nicely and Vroom Vroom. Aluminium cam timing pinion gear shows signs wear. Will cut new gear using steel as specified. Lesson learnt.Aluminium no good for timiing gears.

Joe Webster was correct. Use Branded R.C. Carb for enhance performance,idling and vrooming of Webbie.

Gus now happily idling & Vrooming away. Petrol and 2-T is about used up.

Gus,
My boss would be touting the great Bosch Blue. I think I put one in my 142 Volvo.
Art

Hi Art,

After 42 years married to same darling boss,I still do not 100% understand her sometimes.Maybe 80% is good enough.

Nellie took about a 2 kg Grouper that I caught sometime ago and asked which portion shall we have for diinner. So Gus suggested the head portion in Curry.
Dinner time.
Fish head in fridge and tail portion on dining table.

Conclusion Nellie doesn't need my decision. She is the boss.

Taking her out for lunch today. Oh .Gus is not permitted to order same food.
There will be two different orders. Half thru,we switch.:wall::hDe:

Taking her to north part of West Malaysia for the local food this September.

Will marry the same girl if Gus ever get married again.

Webbie is up and running. H.T. Ignition Coil is OK. Gus set contact gap to large.:hDe::hDe: Now purring away at idling speed and roars like a lion if I Vroom Vroom Webbie.I think Webbie is a "she". Difficult to start if you don't do it her way. Ha Ha:cool::cool:

Great Gus. Can ypu make another movie please?

Barry

Gus---I feel your joy. I feel your pain. Nothing compares with the great feeling of wonder and accomplishment when an engine you have built yourself runs successfully. Nothing compares with the frustration and feeling of helplessness when an engine doesn't perform well, and you can't quite figure out why.----And yes, being married to a good woman is probably one of the greatest things that can happen to a man.---Brian

Nellie took about a 2 kg Grouper that I caught sometime ago and asked which portion shall we have for diinner. So Gus suggested the head portion in Curry.
Dinner time.
Fish head in fridge and tail portion on dining table.

Conclusion Nellie doesn't need my decision. She is the boss.

I learned a long time ago to tell wifey the opposite of what I really want.

Gus

Congratulations on getting your engine running; I really enjoy you since of humor and writing.

Keep up the great work!

Dave

Gus

Congratulations on getting your engine running; I really enjoy you since of humor and writing.

Keep up the great work!

Dave

Hi Dave

How far away are you from JacksonHole or was it Jackson Falls not too faraway from YellowStone Park? Spent a week driving around Y.Park. Stayed
outside Park to enjoy company of the local folks. In Duboi, an old lady walked over to my table and greeted me good morning in Japanese.How could I tell her and embarass her ,Gus is not Japanese. I got up and returned greetings with a deep bow. Made her very happy with my limited Japanese.

Gus is going 70 by end August. Have gone thru life with its ups and downs. Worked with Ingersoll-Rand USA,Singapore for 32 years. Enjoyed working with IR but sure hate the dirty office politics.Went from Trade School Production Operator to Operations Manager was unbelievable.Was all hard work.Well .Thats life.
Now that I am happily retired with plenty of time to enjoy the many hobbies that I never had time for. Boat Fishing every weekend with friends on my Albin 28 USA half cabin cruiser was another dream made real.
Sharing good catches was another. Losing a big one was anather story to tell.
Rod bending and rod breaking fish another bigger story.

Got to go now Webbie is waiting another Vroom Vroom spin.

Last edited:
After an exhaustive test run last four days,had Webbie cleaned up of the gunk. Webbie now my favourite Model Show Piece on my Computer Desk. Quite relaxing now to look at. I thought I took three months. Checked thread entry,was at June 3rd and today August 2nd. Two months of hard work with one week off in Osaka.
Still struggling running video posted. Will keep trying in Southern Thailand.;D

IMG_2149.jpg

Last edited:
Niiiice one Gus, you should be very proud of Webbie she looks really pretty all dressed up and sparkly.
woohoo1th_wavwoohoo1

OK Guys.Short video clip but no vrooming yet with only one cameraman-------Gus.

Please go into my Facebook----------augustine teng.

The next will have Vroom Vroooooooommmmm.

Latest posts

Back