My version of SandyC's 3" vertical boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize this is an old thread but, Any Ideas on the max engine bore this boiler will run steady?

Thanks
Matt

Matt

Sorry I don't; but it would be fine for smaller engines. The engine I made this for was a 10mm bore and I have the safety set at 25psi which is good enough. It would run the twin cylinder french engine that has been made a few times on here. Getting up to 20mm bore may be pushing it, but that's a guess as I don't know. The trouble is vertical boilers aren't as efficient as horizontal boilers as the heat takes the shortest route upwards and out.

I'm sure somebody on here would have the full technical answer as it is possible to work out how much steam you need to produce for bore/stroke/speed/power output. These things are just energy conversion systems.

That probably didn't answer your question but if you were to suggest what size engine you were planning to use it on you could get a yes/no/maybe answer.

Pete

Latest posts

Back