My version of Jan's "Bas Sterling"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awJCKDup

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Here are some pics of my latest project. I'd like to thank Jan Ridders for his plans, they were great as usual. The sterling turned out being a little tougher than I thought it would, when I finally submersed the cylinders under water I found the leak that had been keeping it from running. I never could get it to run on just a tea candle, so I made a small alcohol burner.
100_0532.jpg

100_0531.jpg

100_0533.jpg

100_0530.jpg

Looks like a good runner to me!

Love the flywheel design!
Flame flywheel for a flame powered stirling!

Really like the base and all the brass accents!

Great work all around!

Andrew

Its beautiful :bow:

WOW that is just aw some,that just raised the bar about 17 notches

Tom

I love the combination of the engine and the wood stand.

Ian (seagar)

Sterling Work ;D :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

"Flame flywheel for a flame powered stirling!"

Yes Lazylathe, I thought it was fitting also.
John

Nice work!

My build is behind schedule but at about 80% so I hope to post soon.

Just in case I have some problems when it comes time to fire it up, where exactly was the leak in yours?

Best regards, Mati

Mati, the leak I had was at the cold cylinder to cylinder plate. Jan says to use silicon sealant, which I did. I also disassembled the engine a couple times, but since the cylinder was "stuck" to the mounting plate, I did not remove it and reseal it. My mistake. But when I took it apart to buff it up, I machined a groove and inserted an o-ring.
Good luck with your build, I hope we see it soon!

John

Thanks John, I'll keep that in mind. I generally work on the engine on weekends, so a few weeks hopefully will get it done.

Mati

Latest posts

Back