My take on PM Research #1 engine

Help Support HMEM:

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
Finally the moment of truth has arrived. Will the engine run or it will be a dud?

And it runs. But not without considerable effort from my side.

Here is the link

I tried to run it but noticed air leaking out of exhaust port continuously.
The slide valve was lapped into the steam chest. Using 180, 220, 400, 800 grit and finally using a metal polish.
Even after this the engine refused to run.
Valve timings were checked and changed repeatedly but there was no success. All the leaks were chased and rectified.
I was using a tyre inflater as a compressor to run the engine. The pressure was going above 5 bars but the engine refused to start.
Then I noticed that the piston end clearance is only about 0.2 mm at both ends. There was no space for air to come inside the cylinder.
So I had to modify the end covers to allow the air to enter the cylinder. For this I filled out some portion of the boss near the steam passages.
And after some more valve timings adjustment Success.
IMG_20210826_193342.jpg

Regards
Nikhil

Lloyd-ss

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Nikhil,
Very nice job, and I can tell there are lots and lots of hours in that beautiful project. You talk so casually about that block of teak and replacing it with plywood (am I correct on that?). Here in the US, teak from India is ranked up with American Walnut, and replacing it with plywood would almost be a sin. I am only joking, but only a little bit. And maybe some paint colors that say "look at me!" Again, only kind of joking.

Working with castings is both a blessing and a curse and I can see that you spent a lot of time getting the set-ups right for the first cuts. Given that you had only one chance to get it right, I would call your job ..... perfect! Impressive.
Thanks for sharing your project with us.
Lloyd

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
Nikhil,
Very nice job, and I can tell there are lots and lots of hours in that beautiful project. You talk so casually about that block of teak and replacing it with plywood (am I correct on that?). Here in the US, teak from India is ranked up with American Walnut, and replacing it with plywood would almost be a sin. I am only joking, but only a little bit. And maybe some paint colors that say "look at me!" Again, only kind of joking.

Working with castings is both a blessing and a curse and I can see that you spent a lot of time getting the set-ups right for the first cuts. Given that you had only one chance to get it right, I would call your job ..... perfect! Impressive.
Thanks for sharing your project with us.
Lloyd
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am a novice and still learning.

As for the teak it is Burma teak. It is imported from Burma or Myanmar. I wish to get it carved out into one of our Gods or Goddess. So I will be replacing it with a plywood box.

Regards
Nikhil

Lloyd-ss

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am a novice and still learning.

As for the teak it is Burma teak. It is imported from Burma or Myanmar. I wish to get it carved out into one of our Gods or Goddess. So I will be replacing it with a plywood box.

Regards
Nikhil
That will be a very fitting use for the teak!

Latest posts