My steep learning curve and other thoughts...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookesy

Reaction score
So, here I am setting up my workshop and there's so much to learn to do this properly. The original intention after moving house and starting with a bare 6m x 6m shed was to a) build a sound-proof practice room/studio for my music and a workshop to build guitars. (guitar player - I have both types (acoustic and electric)) :) That's pretty much done but in the process my focus has changed. Now it's become apparent that model engineering is the way I want to proceed and a long list to projects is forming... First up is a simple engine and boiler but ultimately a 1" scale Minnie is the goal. Bought the plans and boiler kit so i'm committed but then i'm thinking wouldn't it be good to try one at 1/2" scale... probably do-able... and 1/4" scale? Maybe do-able... Anyway, I've still got a long way to go and I'm really enjoying where this is heading after not touching my lathe for many years. I would really like to get hold of a copy of LC Mason's book Scale Model Traction Engine Building Featuring "Minnie". If anyone can advise where to get hold of a copy at a reasonable price I would appreciate it

Tee Publishing used to sell the book sorry not sure if its still instock
For a simpler traction engine Myfordboys site has a nice wee model and utube videos showing its build or how about a bar stock engine then at least the scrap aint to expensive
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4335.msg45213#msg45213
The drawings are on the johntom web site for free download only found it after buying the book
For Minnie casting I found Blackgates in the UK to be of good quality although I didnt use many only the cylinder and flywheel.
cheers

Thanks for the info.
I bought the Minnie plans and boiler kit from AJ Reeves so I'll probably get the gear set and a few castings from them too. There's a fair bit of info around on building the Minnie but I'll probably get a copy of the book anyway. Grabbed the 3/4" scale Case info too so that's yet another option.

From my own experience of using both companies castings Blackgates are that bit better although I dont know what they are like for overseas shipping
Iv seen a few Minnie bits n bobs for sale on ebay maybe worth keeping an eye open
Good luck with the build
cheers

I'll check out Blackgates and who knows I might get lucky on Ebay. Shipping to Oz is always expensive these days so unfortunately you just have to accept it.

Getting familiar with the lathe and mill, only a couple of minor issues so far. Like after all these years I forgot parting rule #1 on a deep part in aluminium... Luckily just a broken carbide tip

So, here I am setting up my workshop and there's so much to learn to do this properly. The original intention after moving house and starting with a bare 6m x 6m shed was to a) build a sound-proof practice room/studio for my music and a workshop to build guitars. (guitar player - I have both types (acoustic and electric)) :) That's pretty much done but in the process my focus has changed. Now it's become apparent that model engineering is the way I want to proceed and a long list to projects is forming... First up is a simple engine and boiler but ultimately a 1" scale Minnie is the goal. Bought the plans and boiler kit so i'm committed but then i'm thinking wouldn't it be good to try one at 1/2" scale... probably do-able... and 1/4" scale? Maybe do-able... Anyway, I've still got a long way to go and I'm really enjoying where this is heading after not touching my lathe for many years. I would really like to get hold of a copy of LC Mason's book Scale Model Traction Engine Building Featuring "Minnie". If anyone can advise where to get hold of a copy at a reasonable price I would appreciate it
A man after my own heart! I'm trying to figure out if I have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hobby Disorder) as I dive into something until I'm sated, then move onto something else. I do seem to circle back every few years for another round. By the way, my obsession is now shared between building a car and learning to machine. SQUIRREL!!!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back