My shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd

Reaction score
Well here's the beginings of my shop. This how it looked shortly after I built it. It's been over 3 years now. Nothing much has changed except it has accumulated a few more shelfs and much "junk". Here is the link to My Shop for your viewing pleasure.

I'm hoping that as I get nearer to finishing the house I'll be able to finally build those custom cabinets I talked about. Unfortunatley the wife wants her custom cabinets finished for the kitchen first. :mad: Imagine that, her cabinets before mine. :'( Oh well, I can't complain, she put's up with my hobbies.

Bernd

Thanks for showing your shop, Bernd.

It looks like a warm place to work in the winter. I did notice that you have to stand at your computer as not to disturb the cat.

Kenny

Looks nice Bernd.

Any woman who puts up with our hobbies is a saint and deserves those cabinets. Cause while it may be a warm place to work, warm food and a warm bed are just as important.

Eric

Ken,

It realy isn't that warm. We have a wood stove in the great room that does a nice job keeping the upstairs warm. That means the furnace dosen't run and the basement stays quit cool. I've noticed that when the temps outside drop to the teens or single numbers the thermometer hovers around 55 degress. Going to install a space heater to keep it warmer.

The cat lets me sit down now. She found out it was more fun to sit on the keyboard infront of the screen to anoy me. So she gets her 30 seconds of attention and then it's off she goes. ;D

Hey Brass,

As far as the cabinets go I usally will build mine right along with hers. She can't tell the difference. :D

Bernd

Here are a couple of photos of my shop after one of my few cleaning sprees. in the foreground of one of the pics is a Cretors popcorn engine I am restoring. I have a 1934 South Bend Model 405 Lathe, and a Micro Mark Mini Mill with DRO (DRO was best investment I ever made (ebay purchase)) and power feed. A belt sander, and a grizzly porta band with bench stand attachment.

Ok, I am new to this, how do you insert pictures all i get is this img thing?

Regards, Bret

Thanks!

Here Goes!

wrfalpacas

wrfalpacas

WooHoo !! ;D

Now thats not only very clean but it's also.. Massive!! Are you sure that's not your kitchen? ???

nice shop Bret :)

P.S. Remember to use the preview button before you post, that will show you what you are about to post... will help you get it right most of the time ;D

Ralph.

Now that's going to cause some real shop envy Bret. ;)

That is my DREAM SHOP!

Rick

Bret, what size is your shop? The white walls make everything seem much brighter. I'm in the process of painting my pegboard walls white and it has made a huge difference. Very impressive.
Tim

Nice shop. That mill and mine could pass for twins. Hope you have better luck with the dro than I. The cables keep coming loose on mine and emails to the company I bought from went unanswered. Again nice shop.

Ok, so were do you move the machines to when you use them. Way to clean. :big: :big:

Very nice shop and now I have "shop envy". ;D

Bernd

That shop is way too clean. Makes me feel like a pig in my shop.

The shop is 13' by 13' with the center table being 4' by 6'. As far as the DRO cables I siliconed them in place and so far that has held up fine, the only problem came when I accidently cut one while I was cable tying them to make it neater (joke was on me that time) ::) I have to keep the floor pretty well swept up as my shop mate is my golden retriver and her fur manages to drag swarf all over the house otherwise and that irritates the spouse. :eek:

-Bret

Nice shop, Bret. Is that a spare room in your house?

Chuck

That is one nice shop!

I notice some swarf under that neat lathe, is that a mistake Or was it done with a photo editing program? ;D ;D ;D

Ray

Hey Bret!

Nice shop! Tell me about the powerfeed you have on your mill.

Eric

Holy Moly!!... I kept searching for where the surgical staff was hiding in the photos...LOL I only wish I was half as organized as that. Right now mine looks like a grenade went off in the place. I'll cop to a case of shop envy as well.

I had a bit of a problem with the DRO cables too. The contact pins would flatten out and begin making intermittent contact. I fixed that by placing a small piece of the wooden shaft from a cotton swab under the pins. Once the silicon sealer dried, the cables stayed plugged in and behaved nicely. Now if I could only get those annoying scale freeze ups to stop happening at inconvenient moments.

The power feed is offered by LMS and it's quite a nice addition to the mini mill. I also adapted one to drive the lead screw on my mini lathe. The feedback circuit it uses is as handy as the dickens. It allowed me to use a carriage stop while operating with the power feed. When it encountered a certain level of resistance, it simply shut of the feed motor. It was gentle enough that it created no machine problems in doing things that way.

Steve

Latest posts

Back