My shop - Cold Weather

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
I love working in my 12x12 shed (workshop)....but this cold weather sucks!

I do have a small propane heater but do you think I had a spare tank available last night....nope.

Needless to say it was a quick night. I'm in the middle of building the Lever Paradox from the last issue of HSM.

Chris

I found a 220 volt, 5,600 watt electric heater at a garage sale for $5. The only thing wrong with it was the heating element connections had rusted causing poor electrical connections and near zero heat output. I did a through cleaning of all the connections and replaced the rusted star washers and got it working properly. I removed the internal thermostat as it had been recalled years ago for safety issues. I replaced it with a Honeywell Baseboard Heat Thermostat purchased at Lowes for $18.95 plus tax. Propane heating costs much less than electric heating but for about $25 I have a nice electric heater as a backup if I let my tank run empty. I've used it a couple of times for a couple of hours each time without noticing a higher electric bill.

Everyone keeps telling me I need to build a shop in the back yard. I have my shop in my basement, and I like it there, even though I am out of room. Its nice to have everything at temperature for working when even I want. Of course it has its down sides also, have to be quite when the family is sleeping, and no welding, but other than that I am happy with it.

Dale

I have a kerosene heater that I fire up to take the chill out of the air, it actually makes that two car garage warmer then the rest of the house lol

I would love to move my shop into my garage.........but the master bedroom is right above it! At least when I'm out in the shed its just me and the mice. :)

I'm convinced the poison I buy for them is making them stonger...

Chris

Latest posts

Back