My projecet (howll's v4)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reread your post on getting the figures for machining the cam, it dawned on me that you are noting the indicator movements for every revolution of the rotary table and noting it down. A smart way of doing things, what ratio is your rotary table? Paul.
My table is 90-1
Have you read the article by W Wilkins in the MEB it's good reading

Les.

Hi
I've been putting some hours in on the engine block,
Some photos,
Les.

image-1360638327.jpg

image-366455809.jpg

image-3528008493.jpg

image-325102377.jpg

Thm:Thm:HOLLY MACARONI "some hours"
this finish is like "some month" work
great work. hoppefully after my cancer treatment I can build a v4 or v8

Super nice machining on the block.
gbritnell

Wow! You work really fast and the result is beautiful. It took me almost a month to do mine (the first time). After I found that the crank was slightly skewed in the block it still took me another three weeks to do the second one.:wall:
Terry

Looking really lovely Les
I could say the Block is fantastic but the Heads are just as nice Thm:
Pete

Wow! You work really fast and the result is beautiful. It took me almost a month to do mine (the first time). After I found that the crank was slightly skewed in the block it still took me another three weeks to do the second one.:wall: Terry

Hi
I've just been of work for over a week with a bad hip,so I got loads done on the engine.
In you're reply it sounds like you Have built this engine ?
Thanks for your good coments
Les.

Thm:Thm:HOLLY MACARONI "some hours" this finish is like "some month" work great work. hoppefully after my cancer treatment I can build a v4 or v8
Hi thanks
If you do build J Howlls v4 the plan service is now run very well by his son Alan, for plans oring sets Bering sets ect
Hope your treatment goes well
Les.

Did you rough out that block first, then finish machine?, I would be worried about stress movements. You have done an excellent job, I must put it on my "to do" list.

Paul.

Fantastic work! I would be scared to post such a close up view on a tricky part like that but it looks flawless!

This build is turning out or should I say milling out to be a first class job,
John.

Did you rough out that block first, then finish machine?, I would be worried about stress movements. You have done an excellent job, I must put it on my "to do" list. Paul.
Hi
The plans are fantastic stage by stage infamation, this being my first atemp at an ic engine I've followed them step by step and many many passes on the mill and it seems to be going well.
Les

Hi
Been busy on the block and finished all the machining, a bit of a shock how Much weight of Ali I removed,
Nexted job is to get the cams shafts finished ,my cam gears cut well all my gears cut,this will be the first gears I've ever cut so hope all goes well,
Some pics of my finished block.
Les.

image-76234552.jpg

image-191117577.jpg

image-12305485.jpg

Hi
I've been working on cutting my gears it went well ,
The Bering holders for the crank are finished to,
Next some cam shafts to mount the gears on,
Some pics
Les.

image.jpg

Hi
I've been working on my cam shafts and got the lobes spacers and gears set on the shafts,
The distributor bevel gear fits to the end of one of the shafts to take the distributor shaft vertical,
To get all this set up I needed to build the distributor and the 90 degree transfer box,so I ordered the distributor cap from J.E.Howell and machined the rest but since seeing the thread (tiny inline 4) the little tool he's made for machining the cap towers is ideal I'm going to make a spare
Some photos
Les.ImageUploadedByModel Engines1388361780.701359.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1388361823.022678.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1388361854.725763.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1388361893.476398.jpg

Hi
I've been working on one of my manifolds,
their were some castings available some time ago for the v4
But now it's a case of making them up as best you can
So started with my inlet witch doubles up as the water cooling inlet,the drilling of the passageways can't be done in ImageUploadedByModel Engines1388865317.710183.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1388865340.082764.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1388865355.502739.jpgone,
I decided to make it from 5 faced and drilled pieces of brass silver soldered together then machined to shape,
And now I don't no if I should paint it or leave as is? If I pant it can any one help with the type of paint to use for this type of engine?
Some photos
Les.

Latest posts

Back