My projecet (howll's v4)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus I enjoy the challenge of doing the tricky bits on the manual machines,
View attachment 66244

That speaks for all the work you have accomplished on the block, a challenge you have definately met and conquered, with superb results, very beautiful machine work you did on your engine block, from a solid block, the details are absolutely amazing.

Hi
An update on my progress ,sorry for the delay ,
I wanted to get the pistons and rods done first but found it hard to get the right aliminium for the job.I found a good supplier (noggin end metals) so waiting for my aliminium to arrive I've been working on the crank and just finished, apart from balancing but need the pistons and rods to balance things up,so thay are my next job
Some phottos

image.jpg

Hi
My con rods were a bit of a challenge I started with machining six blanks ten thou over size in all dimensions
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393968211.337771.jpg

Next I drilled them for the bronze bushes press fitted them and machined to finished thickness
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393968653.769132.jpg

Then drilled to just under reaming size
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393968833.412035.jpg

The fork end i did with a slitting saw setup
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393969034.367837.jpg

With my fly cutter setup with a bevelled end cutter I finished to thickness
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393969443.852300.jpg

Next I made up a jig to hold them to finish of the machining, some threaded pins to hold things,the radius on the pins to match the small and big end radius as a Gide for machining, some spacers for fork ends
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393970082.440855.jpg

Machining them was straight flowered removing the Centre fiat then removing one of the pins and rotate a bit each pass to get half way round and then the same with the other pin,then turn them over and do the same.
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393970672.549586.jpg
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393970706.017536.jpg

And that's it for now next the pistons
Les.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,102
Hi Les, just wondering if you are still working on this engine, I was rereading the postings as I eventually want to make one of these engines.

Paul.

Hi Paul,still busy working on the v4.I've been having trouble with the rings 3 weeks and 4 a temps and finally got there.i must post some pictures ,I've also been working on a lot of small bits ,oil pressure relief valve,oil pick up,oil dipstick and some elbows to get the oil from the pick up to the pump. Which is nexed on the list
Thanks les.

Hi
My progrogres has been a bit slow, I've been working on a lot of small bits that arnt very interesting,the oil pump and releaf valve ,I've also managed to get the rings finished and fitted
Some pics

image.jpg

Hi
After a long summer lots of bbq's days at beach,I can start spending some time in the work shop,
Over the summer got all the oil delivery parts done from sump to pump next on my list is the water pump.ImageUploadedByModel Engines1411419288.320276.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1411419349.496327.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1411419407.991022.jpg
Just some pics
Les.

Hi
All the parts for the water pump ready for soldering ImageUploadedByModel Engines1411932435.062942.jpg

Les:

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. What a wonderful job you've done !!
Beautiful machine work.

You asked about paint for the engine. When I built the V8 I was in contact with Jerry about what he used. Alas he never got to see the V8 run.
He recommended Plasti-Kote T-43 Dark Cherry for the red that he used but the key is to use the etching primer on the bare aluminum (or brass). Very important. It is Plasti-Kote etching primer #470 grey. The paint has held up well. It took a long time to get really hard a durable (guessing a couple of months). It was dry like any paint in the usual time but it took that long for it to become resistant to fuel. I thought I was going to be in trouble with it at first but it turned out ok.

Personally I like the contrast of metal colours so I'd keep your brass intake as-is..

BTW when you get to making your carbs, make a few. The design is very good and the spares will come in handy for other projects.

I made 8 carbs with the idea that I'd use two for the V8 version. I only ever made the intake for one but the V8 could use a second one.

Sage

Check out the V8 and my latest (full scale 90lb) 1902 Parcell and Weed Hit-Miss (plus others) at http://davesage.ca/

Les:

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. What a wonderful job you've done !!
Beautiful machine work.

You asked about paint for the engine. When I built the V8 I was in contact with Jerry about what he used. Alas he never got to see the V8 run.
He recommended Plasti-Kote T-43 Dark Cherry for the red that he used but the key is to use the etching primer on the bare aluminum (or brass). Very important. It is Plasti-Kote etching primer #470 grey. The paint has held up well. It took a long time to get really hard a durable (guessing a couple of months). It was dry like any paint in the usual time but it took that long for it to become resistant to fuel. I thought I was going to be in trouble with it at first but it turned out ok.

Personally I like the contrast of metal colours so I'd keep your brass intake as-is..

BTW when you get to making your carbs, make a few. The design is very good and the spares will come in handy for other projects.

I made 8 carbs with the idea that I'd use two for the V8 version. I only ever made the intake for one but the V8 could use a second one.

Sage

Check out the V8 and my latest (full scale 90lb) 1902 Parcell and Weed Hit-Miss (plus others) at http://davesage.ca/

Hi Sage
Thanks for the positive feed back
I've seen your work and the finish you get is fantastic
I've seen all the pictures of the v8 looks great but can't seam to be able to watch the videos on my iPad so I've haven't seen it run
Thanks again
Les.

>> can't seam to be able to watch the videos on my iPad so I've haven't seen it run

Hmm Curious. I'm not an Apple person. The movies are in MPG format which I don't think is native to Apple products. I can get them to run on my Wife's MacBook Pro with Safari but I seem to remember she had to have some sort of add-on codec or something installed on it to get PC native files to run. I also tried it on her IPhone with Safari and like you said it would not recognize the movies. It went looking for another application to open them.
If anyone has any suggestions on what I can / should do to fix my website I'd appreciate it. I know AVI's are more of a Mac format (I think) but some PC's have problems with them.

Anyway. I digress. Keep up the nice work on the engine. Looking forward to seeing it run.

P.S. A very cute little machinist you have there.

Sage

Sorry to break the topic , but how do you post multiple pics in your post with the ipad. I've tried loading more than one on attachments , but will never post more than one. Any help is appreciated,

and great lookin engine.

I'm following along intently, with thought of tackling one, with your thread for inspiration.

Sorry to break the topic , but how do you post multiple pics in your post with the ipad. I've tried loading more than one on attachments , but will never post more than one. Any help is appreciated,

and great lookin engine.

I'm following along intently, with thought of tackling one, with your thread for inspiration.
Hi and thanks
Have you down loaded the iPad app ? I use the app to do all my posts, but it's not as good well the same as the main site so I do all the rest of my viewing on the main site, on the app you can load as many pics as you need per post

Les.

Hi I've got the water pump soldiered up
Looking at my plan sheets I've got the fly wheel, exhaust manifold, and carb left then the final assembly and hopefully the first run.
Without the rad for the first run
Les.ImageUploadedByModel Engines1412372616.847089.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1412372680.480156.jpg

Back