My projecet (howll's v4)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesgsy

Reaction score
I've always liked v twins so my first choice was the Hoglet withe it's kick start Wow!
But then the water cooled Howlls V4 looked so good!
So I ordered both sets of plans and that made my mind up, Jerry's plans and notes are second to non.
The plans start with the engine block but it's such a lump of alli I had to order it so I made a start on the rockers and rocker cradles.

image-3088818299.jpg

65684[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image-213589901.jpg
    image-213589901.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,535
I've always liked v twins so my first choice was the Hoglet withe it's kick start Wow! But then the water cooled Howlls V4 looked so good! So I ordered both sets of plans and that made my mind up, Jerry's plans and notes are second to non. The plans start with the engine block but it's such a lump of alli I had to order it so I made a start on the rockers and rocker cradles.
And thanks for the welcome

Looking great so far. Keep the pics coming.

Very nice, this engine has a really nice sound when running not to mention esthetics. Are you going to power something with it like in the video?

Keep it up,
John.

Very nice, this engine has a really nice sound when running not to mention esthetics. Are you going to power something with it like in the video? Keep it up, John.
I thought I'd seen all the videos on this I've not seen one powering anything,I must of mist one
Can you let me know the whereabouts of this video

Thanks Les.

Yes I've seen the stretched v8 it looks good ,there's a video of it running on one of the cabin fever videos and it sounds good to,

HiSome pictures of my progress on heads, valves ,valve guides and spring retainers
Hope to see my lump of aliminum in the nexted few days so I can make a start on the engine block

Hi
I've been concerned about the cams for my v4 so decided to tackle them sooner than latter. There's an article by W Wilkins in model engine builder issue 7,my attempt is loosely based on this.
I started by making two cam templets one inlet and one outlet this gave me my top and bottom radius

image-1685675616.jpg

Next I made a flank radius and fitted it to my D.T.I with this setup next to my cam templets in my rotary table turning one revaluation at a time gave me a set of figures.

image-1979499583.jpg

Next transferred the figures to my D.R.O and set up my outside boring bar to the bottom radius with the D.R.O set to 0

image-962812264.jpg

Moving the mill table x to my set of figures each revaluation of the rotary table my cams appeared,

image-1570699403.jpg

And a photo of my finished heads,

image-542776909.jpg

Hi and thanks for all the positive feedback ,
And yes I only have manual mill and lathe but I have a good D.R.O fitted to my mill I've often thought of moving to a c.n.c setup but can't spare the cash,
Plus I enjoy the challenge of doing the tricky bits on the manual machines,
A photo of my aluminium block,I wonder what the finished weight will be?
Les.
image-3674118123.jpg

Outstanding work on the heads. I have seen this engine built and it makes an impressive model engine. Could you elaborate a little more on your cam construction? I'm assuming you used a constant setting for the boring bar? How exactly did you derive the numbers from your template and DTI setup?
gbritnell

Reread your post on getting the figures for machining the cam, it dawned on me that you are noting the indicator movements for every revolution of the rotary table and noting it down. A smart way of doing things, what ratio is your rotary table?

Paul.

Outstanding work on the heads. I have seen this engine built and it makes an impressive model engine. Could you elaborate a little more on your cam construction? I'm assuming you used a constant setting for the boring bar? How exactly did you derive the numbers from your template and DTI setup? gbritnell
The flank template and boring bar are set to the same radios ,
As you rotate the cam template in the rotary table with the flank template and tdi against the bottom of the cam lobe the readout stays the same fora number of turns till the flank radios hits both top and bottom radios's of the cam template make a note of the figures on the tdi at each rev of the rotary table
When setting the boring bar I made a brass button the same size as the bottom radios of the the cam set the boring bar so it just touch's this button set the dro and rotary table to 0
Then make a start with each revaluation of the rotary moving the x on the mill to get the figures on the dro found with the tdi
I'm not to good at explaining things but I hope this helps,

Les.

Latest posts

Back