My PM #5 bottle engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobend1964

Reaction score
I usually never post anywhere, but this engine was a lot of work for me and I finally finished it. I am not very experienced as a machinist and this was my first attempt at an engine from castings. I will say I learned a LOT! Mistakes and screw-ups are great educators and expensive, too. :wall:
Buying new castings after screwing up what I was working on adds up. All part of the process, I guess. I am happy that it runs, but, as it is a first time effort, there were tolerance and alignment issues so it runs with a fair amount of vibration. But, IT RUNS. Best to all
Lb5rL4uIW6FiBbrL2

Lb5rL4uIW6FiBbrL2

PM_5.JPG

Nice work, looks better than the first steam engine I did. Broke the cylinder casting on a big lathe at school when boring it, a friend cast a new cylinder out of brass for me...

Congratulations on your engine. This is how we learn, and also why I design and build all of my engines from bar stock. Everyone that sticks with it and ends up with a running engine, and learns a lot of "stuff" along the way is a hero.----Brian

Congratulations!! The first runner is always very exciting and many of us struggle with them.

Keep going, we want to see more!

Pete

Thank you all for your kind words. Packrat, I relate to you cracking a casting. One of my "learnings" was when I broke a casting in half while trying to mill it. Again. thank you all for your encouragement; makes me want to try more.

Good work. Time for another now.

Congrats. As you've learned, working with castings is a different beast.

I remember when I machined my #5 I had a hell of a time with the tiny bearing caps for the square valve slide. It was a fixturing challenge for such a small part.

...Ved.

That's a good little engine. Congratulations on working with castings to a final conclusion.

Your build is one of the bottle engines I like, and I have to admit that sometimes I don't like the bottle designs as much as some of the other designs out there.

Keep up the good work,

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back