My own Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paolo,
That is an excellent trick! Thanks for sharing it. :bow:

As I promist the drawing of my Globe Valve is dawnloadable!! Please let me know if I did some mistakes..This is my first attempt to convert AutoCAD drawings into PDF format.
Cheers
Paolo

And now..Boiler time.!! I decided for the vertical by SandyC. I decided to make a die and punch and press the discs into shape as others did. I used Plexiglas for the punch and pressed wood for the die...
Raw material
DSC01569.jpg

DSC01570.jpg
http://The punch&die just done!!
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/Mauro1952/SM1-Engine/DSC01568.jpg
Disc test....
DSC01567.jpg

...and few hours later..final results!!!
DSC01566.jpg

Thanks firebird for sharing your idea!!!

All major components are done...!! Just a few holes and I'll start the long soldering session...!
SandyC as you can see I had a chance to find a 28mm OD copper tube...so I'm on line with the original project!!!
DSC01576.jpg

First soldering session....Bad results...
DSC01584.jpg

The silver soldering wire didn't worked well...
DSC01583.jpg

Second attempt using Plumbers copper soldering wire..MUCH BETTER!!!
DSC01581.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

Second silver soldering session..Was very hard to do because the copper surface is very big and the color go away very fast...
DSC01600.jpg

another session is needed because I have to silver soldering inside,,, :-\
DSC01599.jpg

We learn all times...I received a message by SandyC :bow: :bow: :bow: plenty of suggestions...That was I did for avoiding heat dispersion and I decided to use a bigger jet nozzle on my welding station...
DSC01606.jpg

after that I started the second silver soldering session...that is the final result...Thanks again SandyC!!
DSC01605.jpg

I decided to do some replenishment on the top...not so elegant, for the moment, but well done
DSC01604.jpg

Nice work Paolo. I had trouble with silver soldering when I first attempted it. I was using a portable propane torch...just enough heat to get myself in trouble. I learned since that time you need a lot of heat especially on large parts. Your experience is another confirmation of that. Good luck finishing up :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil...for supporting me..!
Cheers
Paolo

I must find my 'first silver-soldering' test part. It's a very ugly thing. By the 3rd or 4th joint I was starting to get the hang of it. ;D

Experience is a platform for doing ALL in the life..!!!!! :big: :big: :big:
I'm doing mine... :big: :big: :big
Cheers

Paolo,

Congratulations on your progress with the silver soldering :bow:

I admire your tenacity. (I'm working on building up the courage to start a boiler ::) ???)

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Maryak...Please Try one....this is my second ,the first was much simple and little, I had a big support from SandyC...and I was able to overcome the initial fault...I have seen your nice engine :bow:...so I bet you have ALL knowhow for doing a boiler...
Cheers Paolo
PS: Yesterday evening I started the funnel ancillaries...when..my late..died after a lots of electrical bang :-[ :-[ :-[
After that, waiting for some spare parts, I'm doing a little clean and touch on my boiler..It seams to be OK now...

That is the result after some cleaning and a touch up with my minidrill...
DSC01612.jpg

The top after re-soldering and cleaning....
DSC01616.jpg

Funnel testing...
DSC01610.jpg

Just received...Raw material for burners....
DSC01629.jpg

I would like to take opportunity for giving my sincere MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL of that magnificent site...
NATALE4.gif

Merry Christmas to you too, Paolo, and a happy New Year.

Have you made any progress in the last week?

shred said:
I must find my 'first silver-soldering' test part. It's a very ugly thing. By the 3rd or 4th joint I was starting to get the hang of it. ;D

I did my first solder joint with my mothers (brand new at the time) woodburning set.

LOTS of things got hot that day! :p She was not a "happy camper".

Paolo said:
Just received...Raw material for burners....
DSC01629.jpg

Uhmm, whats inside the white boxes?? I gotta know!

I think they are ceramic plates not boxes!

I'm thinking an interesting burner build could be on the way?

Nice work on the boiler Paolo, Have you had chance to do any more over the holidays or are you taking the full family time?

Looking forward to the next part as usual ;D

Ralph.

Hi T70MkIII I went to my country house ...so i stopped a little doing others "hobbies".... :big:
Hi Ralph...no I wasn't able to do anything because my late was broken... :mad: :mad: :mad: I received the electronic card repaired just yesterday..BUT...I have to change the motor...It seames to be "over heated" but I was able to start the burner body and finished the funnel ancillaries,as You can see, working at low speed...
Hi Kermit the white box are ceramics plate received from an Italian factory at very low price... :big: :big: :big:
Cheers
DSC01651.jpg

Back