My observations on machining copper---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, some generic foamy spray 'cutting oil, good for ferrous and non-ferrous' did ok for simple punching of an off-center hole in some copper pipe with a 1/4" end mill, but even then you could tell it wasn't very happy about the whole affair.

DrillGasValve.sized.jpg

Maybe there is an animal fat storage facility near you. Go and ask if they have some tallowQA samples, about 1/2 lb plastic jars. All they do is throw them out after they are sure the QA is OK. (That's how I got my tallow).

Best Regards
Bob

Kermit said:
Beef tallow is a whitish (beef tallow) or whitish to yellow (edible beef tallow) substance.

When I was an apprentice cadet at sea, many years ago, we used to carry latex from Malaya (as it was called in those days) to Australia in deep (bulk) tanks. The tanks were lined with tallow to prevent the latex sticking to the steel and it was the cadets' job to line the tanks with the stuff and to clean out the tanks after the discharge.

It was a filthy, smelly job.

We also used to carry tallow in bulk in the other direction up as far as India. It had to be heated by steam coils in the tanks to keep it liquid. The stench was unbelievable when the tanks were opened up after discharge and we went down to clean the tanks.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

steamdave said:
It is a fact that Scotch Eggs hatch out into Haggis.
Huh, for real? I've always wondered about how Scots were born. :big: :big: :big:

Best regards,

Kludge (Part Scot)

Penny to a pound most of the problems you guys are getting with copper can be put down to the wrong rake angle on tools and the wrong angle on drill bits. Copper will cut just fine of you use the correct tools for the job. Tallow or milk helps but wont cure poor tool choice.

Latest posts

Back