My Little workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaurenson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

thought I would post a few pics of my workshop, when we bought the house I was given a blank canvas as per the first couple of photos - this is basically how it is today.. unfortunately I can't fit a Milling machine in so have to look at getting a bigger workshop now and starting all over !!

never mind, it will do me for now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Very organised there in a small place. It is amazing what you can fit in. My shop is a similar size and am thinking about better storage options. I managed to fit in a Seig Super X3 mill in place of my drill press. It took me ages to work out where I could put it. Then I had a brainwave and moved my drill press to a new spot (to make room for a bigger lathe) for a while and decided I could fit the SX3 in the same footprint the drill occupied. I have not missed the drill press yet.

Really nice shop.

I agree, the SX3 might fit. I also find I do not use my little drill press that often. It was a cheap one anyway and the mill does a nicer job.

In any case, yours is a shop to be proud of....

My only comment would be:-
Why did you not paint the walls white before you installed everything, it makes it so much lighter if you do that.

Phil

Yep I did think about painting the walls white but to be honest, I like the wood colour as well.. I have about 15 strip lights in that little space so light hasn't been to much of a problem.. I just wish the shop was a bit wider so I could get my old bike in the middle, would make life easier for working on it but for building model engines it's a good size.

cheers

oh and yes, the drill press would be the first to go in place of a milling machine, I think I could probably squeeze it in.. I just have to convince the CFO for purchase approval :)
I do use a small vertical slide on the lath and an ER32 collet chuck for small milling work, it seems to cover most of what I need for my Quayle Steam engine that I am in the midst of building.. the problem I find with the vertical slide is it vibrates a lot when taking cuts..

Nice shop and well organised. Love the lighting as well. Thanks for showing. No chance of me showing photos until everyone has forgotten how neat your is.

Jim

oh and yes, the drill press would be the first to go in place of a milling machine, I think I could probably squeeze it in.. I just have to convince the CFO for purchase approval :)
I do use a small vertical slide on the lath and an ER32 collet chuck for small milling work, it seems to cover most of what I need for my Quayle Steam engine that I am in the midst of building.. the problem I find with the vertical slide is it vibrates a lot when taking cuts..

My brainwave was to place the mill on an angle near the door. That may work for you too. My floor space is similar to yours.
DSC_2429_zpsab5cdf3b.jpg

This lets the table steal a bit more room if it is right over to the left and the natural light is an advantage. The stand is a bit deeper than the drill press but it extends under the upper shelf so this is not a problem. Note the welder, bandsaw and welding table are all on wheels so they can be moved around. I just pull the saw out when it is in use. The sale of my old lathe covered half the cost of the mill! I am envious of your drawers etc, that is my next shop upgrade.

Sort of makes you want to work in it all the time. Very nice. JL

Very well organised and weather proof. Very much bigger than my three open sided balcony machineshop. Wee bitty rain droplets do get in on a very bad day. :rolleyes:
See foto. Rust is not a big problem. But the moist makes me ponder on buying DRO for the vertical mill.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Hi,

You have a beautifully organized and tidy shop.
A Me-Ford lathe. Sorry, most Brits can't say "my".
Are you doing mainly woodworking? I noticed a few saws and a router.
I am curious about the building structure though, because most windows have a lentil over them. Are you in a shed? What I see would not be accepted by the building code for house construction.
Just curious....

Size only matters to scammers selling "male enhancement" products, I get off on overcoming obstacles using the barest of resources.

Latest posts

Back