My little corner of the Universe - Phase 1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum Maryak .............. got to say that looks way tidier than my little shop ;D

CC

Maryak I just started to think about a shipping container for a shop.
how much did it run you? anything to look out for? do you have windows on the top?? ???
how did you do the electrical?
hope im not hijacking. make a thread Maryak! :big:
(srry CrewCab :bow:)
back to business

Sorry Guys this is a bit new to me and if I knew how to make a thread I would.

Does this mean start a new topic?

Anyway, if you are in the unfortunate position of having to buy a 2nd hand container, a 20ft will cost between $au2000 - $au3000 depending on condition. mine is a very old 1979 box and is only 8 ft high. A standard box is 8'6" high and then there are 9'6" high ones as well. Then there's transportation and set up costs.

With the electrics, 240V in Oz, I ran it all through conduit and used a caravan power connector to connect to the mains. First thought was to mount this on the outside. My shops location suggested that security could be a problem so mounted on the inside. Now I can't close the door and lock up without disconnecting the power and putting it away. Helps me in my dotage, (apart from phone calls, saying are you coming back if not would you like us to lock up your box!!).The electrics cost around $au200

I have no windows, but have 2 hatches in the roof that can be unlocked and opened for ventilation in the summer. More trouble than its worth and only another place for leaks when its raining.

My box has steel over the wooden floor and being old the floor is 1" thick planks not high grade ply as in more modern boxes.

I could have done with a bit more lighting in the roof but apart from rainy days the doors are chained back and there is plenty of natural light, (only during the day).

Hooks, rails, notice boards, etc., can be welded to or screwed through the sides. All my benches and machines are bolted through the floor. This is easy when you have access to a container fork lift. If not I recommend you mount it high enough for underneath access at least until you are happy with where you've put everything. Then lower it, otherwise the first step outside is a doozy and the cost of making a verandah and stairs is substantial.

If I can help with anything else please ask.

Off to bed now in down-under.

Another " Instant " workshop to think about in the UK is the Portacabin, often sold off when their use as a temp classroom or crew cab is finished. Strong and fitted with stilts.
Regards Ian.

Back