My Kinner K5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpcoe

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. I started this engine two years ago. I haven't got much done because of schoolwork, but I'm getting it going again as funds and materials are available. It's a Kinner K5 from Strictly IC plans.

DSCF7617.jpg

Front Cover, Crankcase, and Gear Case bolted together.

DSCF7618.jpg

Gear Case, Rear

DSCF7620.jpg

Oil Tank

DSCF7621.jpg

Crankcase assembly, and Oil Tank

DSCF7904.jpg

Crank Webslide side 1

DSCF7905.jpg

Crank Webslide side 2

DSCF9149.jpg

Cylinder Head with Rocker Perches

DSCF9145.jpg

Completed parts to date

DSCF9148.jpg

Where the magic happens. A bit messy currently.

Hope you like.

Greg

All I can say is :eek: :eek: :bow: :bow: th_confused0052

gpcoe,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

We know what your interest is ;D :eek: and a fantastic start. :bow: :bow:.................but how about you ??? Please tell us a bit about yourself in the welcome thread.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Greg the kinner is coming along great i am also building the k5 i wonder if you picked up that the head bolt pcd is incorrect to close to the bore i did not pick it up
until i had drilled the holes in the heads, i can over this problem by making copper
head gaskits Rather than remaking the heads i also encountered another problem with
the bolt holes for the rocker perches i used 8/32 would have been better using smaller i will keep watching your progress
Gary

Hi Greg,
Great work on your engine. It just goes to show you can make excellent parts on some of the simplest machines.
gbritnell

excellent machining...

Is this a Monarch 10ee lathe?
Oh man, you're fine...

vk2dj said:
Hi Greg the kinner is coming along great i am also building the k5 i wonder if you picked up that the head bolt pcd is incorrect to close to the bore i did not pick it up
until i had drilled the holes in the heads, i can over this problem by making copper
head gaskits Rather than remaking the heads i also encountered another problem with
the bolt holes for the rocker perches i used 8/32 would have been better using smaller i will keep watching your progress
Gary

Hi Gary,

Glad to see others are building this engine as well. I modeled everything in solidworks and found all of the little mistakes in the plans by assembling them, though I don't remember half of them now. I used 6-32 screws for the rocker perch. May have been another mistake I worked out earlier on.

ttrikalin,

Yes, that's a Monarch 10ee and it's a wonderful piece of machinery

I meant to add this, but forgot last night:
DSCF9147.jpg

Ron Colona's Offy. I lost all of my solidworks files for it in a mishap so I went back to working on the K5 especially after obtained the Monarch as most of the K5 is turned at one point or another.

Greg

Very nice work on both those engines.

Chuck

deere_x475guy said:
Amazing...I figured for sure you did some of this with a CNC machiner. :bow:

No CNC here. I do that at work, I figure to come home and do it here to would 1: be to much like work and 2: well, cheating. That's not to say that at some point there will be something that's just not worth the effort of doing it manually, but I find it quite relaxing (until I screw something up) to push for the CNC route.

Some updates...

Completed Cylinder:
IMAG0024.jpg

Crankcase and Cylinders with Heads mounted:
IMAG0026.jpg

And the whole thing together at this point, though nowhere near completed:
IMAG0028.jpg

Enjoy

Greg

Looking really fine from here! :bow:

Keep at it, it's a great distraction from school work! :big:

Dave

I've graduated now, so I have more time now for toys!!

Great pieces of work Greg :bow: :bow:

Glad to see that also the younger generation has interrest in conventional turning and milling. In my opinion you can only be a good CNC operator if you are able to operate a conventional machine manually. You can be proud of yourself!

Keep the progress coming, I am eager to see more of your beautiful machined parts!

Regards Jeroen

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum...must have missed your original post back in Sept. Beautiful work on that radial...looking forward to more as you progress. Congrats on your recent graduation as well.

Bill

Wow!
Amazing work and a good looking engine so far!
Can`t wait to see it run!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

LeeScrounger said:
Very nice machining. What do you do for work?

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I am a CNC mill programmer by day. Luckily, I don't use much manual equipment at work so (at least for me) my hobby and profession stay pretty separated.

Greg

I love the kinner
well done so far
will be watching :)

Latest posts

Back