My Intro

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianS

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just like to say hello and say a few words about myself. I'm pushing 40 and live in New York. I have a fairly decent wood shop setup, but I am about to take the plunge into machining by buying a small lathe and mill. I would also like to try some blacksmithing. I think I will try and take a course in beginning blacksmithing this fall. I'd like to start building some Stirling and steam engine, plus other interesting projects I find along the way. So far I've learned a lot just by reading this forum as a guest and I figured it was time to join. I look forward to learning a lot and perhaps making a buddy or two in the process.

Thanks for listening.
Brian

Hi Brian,

It sounds like you have come to the right place, I'm fairly new here too but I'm sure you will find very quickly that the pool of knowledge here is amazing and you would have to go a long way to find a better bunch of blokes!

David

Welcome Brian,

I am sure you will find everything you want here, and maybe more.

Remember, there are no strangers at HMEM -- just friends we haven't talked to yet!

John

Welcome to HMEM, Brian. It's a great place to learn and share what you've learned.

Chuck

Welcome to HMEM Brian.

I've been around here for awhile now, but I learn something
new from the group here every single day!

Feel free to ask any questions that you have along the way.

Rick

Welcome aboard Brian ...... from another relative newcomer ......... it's a nice place to hang out, pull up a chair ;D

CC

Hi Brian and welcome. You'll enjoy it here very much. Lots of knowledge resides on this forum.

I'm in New York also, South of Rochester,NY to be exact. Were abouts are you?

Bernd

Welcome to the club Brian!

Where are you looking at taking the blacksmithing course?

Eric

Welcome aboard, Brian. We are glad to have you!

I've never met a "Brian" I didn't like.... Ok, so maybe I have, but that was a long time ago. :)

-Brian

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I like it here already ;D To answer the questions:

Bernd: I live about a 30 to 45min (depending on traffic) north of NYC and a bit south of West Point Military Academy.

Eric: I haven't registered for classes yet, but I am thinking of http://www.centerformetalarts.com/ only because they seem to be the closest to me. Do you know of a good school?

Sparky961: Nice name bud! ;)

Welcome to the board from a medium new guy. I have been here through a couple of builds and you will find the members friendly and very quick to help without much of the "trolling" that always seems to creep into the other machinist boards. I'm not sure that I have ever seen a negative post on this board. It's like a safe haven for like minded individuals.

Back