my home made engines are ready yet!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Modelmotor and Antonio,

I did try building the Bolero in 2004 and chickened off when I realised I have no skills in lapping.But after building the Webster and the the Rupnow H&M and succeeded running them with plenty of help and advice from HMEM members last year,I am now more confident.
Antonio's video has sort of got me all fired up to finish up Bolero and the Firefly.Both engines have unforgiving fits.
For the Bolero,i only have the piston and lapping of both piston and sleeve to do. I suspect I goofed on the crankshaft and bush bearing fit. Please advise areas to watch.

Hallo Gus,

I made a bronze bush bearing fit for all the engines i made at this moment.It works very good when the bronze bush is lapped in the right size for
a proper fit of the crankshaft,but you understood that already.
I can give you the advice to go to the website www.modelenginenews.com from Mr.Ron Chernich a website that will end soon now Ron is very very ill at this time.
On Ron's website you can go to modelenginenews November 2003 and under the column "Regular Features" you will find the "Tech Tips of the month" with an article about piston material choices and expanding laps ,Hones and whatever more about lapping technics!It is all very interesting and of a great help for me when i made my Boll 4,4 and B.J.CICADA model engines.Your question about the areas to watch i can say that the fit from the piston/liner and contra piston is in my opinion very important.I honestly admit that i had serious problems with a good and proper fit from my pistons into the liner(s).The Conrod wholes must be done very good as well,but i do n't expect many problems that you will have Gus with youre experience you have at this moment,you have to make the internal engine parts on a serious good and proper way than it must be OK and it will work OK

many greetings from,

modelmotor-Gerard-The Netherlands-Europe.

Hallo Model engine friends,

As an extra one photo from my running Boll Aero 1.8 cc model diesel engine.A video will be made as soon as possible,but only if the engine runs very stabile for a long time.
I think i will have to modify the ventury and to set down compression much more to get much more stabilty in running because at this moment it the engine seems a bit
overcompressed and/or overflouded.
I hope you like the photo?

many greetings from modelmotor-The Netherlands-Europe

Boll Aero running.jpg

Back