My flathead

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookmaker

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
It has been awhile (December I think) since posting but I have been lurking here almost every day. I hesitate to post because, as I have mentioned in the past, I am really bad at documenting as I go and I know as soon as I post a picture everyone will want more and I simply don’t have more to share. I figure a little is better than nothing so here goes.
My model is a quarter scale replica of a 100 HP flathead Ford V8. I have a friend in the restoration business and he has been gracious enough to lend me parts as I needed them to scale down. There is also a lot of information on the internet since this particular engine is said to be the most hot roded of any. Everything is from billet with no help from CNC. I started with the block. I did a 3D drawing in Alibre Design.
blocktop.jpg

Then I started whittling and ended up with this.
DSC00008.jpg

I then did the Crank, Cam, valves and lifters. Sorry I don’t have a picture but here you can see the cam and crank in the block.
DSC00009.jpg

I decided to do custom heads as was done back in the day. Sharp made the most desirable at the time so I borrowed one from my friend and set out to duplicate it. The only way I could figure to get the text in the head was with EDM (which I had no experience in) so I started asking around and found a guy close to where I worked and took one of my completed engines over to his shop and ran it for him. That is all it took and he loaned me his knowledge and machine. People are so incredible!!
DSCSharp.jpg

Once again with the intake I went with the hot rod approach.
DSC00094.jpg

The carbs are Perry for model airplanes. The next items were the Distributor and Water pumps.
Flathead308.jpg

At this point I have completed the pan and starter. Sorry no photos yet. I finished up the rods last weekend and plan to work on the pistons and rings next. I will try to get some pictures of the individual part for you soon.
Best regards,
Roger

WOW!!!!
If this is an example of you just whittling, I can't wait to see what you can turn out when you get serious.

An absolutely stunning piece of work..... how on earth did you machine that block?.... and those heads are a work of art.

Thank you for posting the pictures, and I look forward to seeing the next set and hearing more of the details...as I am sure the rest of the guys are.

Best regards.

sandyC...'just going to dump my new triple steam engine in the skip' :'(

Roger,
That is just awesome craftsmanship!! Very much impressed. I'm floored by all the projects and talented people who contribute to this website. It just keeps getting better and better!

Steve

Just superb 8) ........ thanks for sharing and please keep the updates coming.

Dave

Very nice work. Machining from solid takes so darn much time getting curves and tangent points in the right spots. I made my 302 from solid and I try to explain to people the amount of time involved as compared to working from castings. The small touches like the name on the heads really sets these pieces off. It goes from a billet engine to a really nice miniature. Good luck with the rest of the project.
gbritnell

Wow, I'm just starting out and I don't even have a clue how you made that but I'm mighty impressed.
Keep the photos coming.

gbritnell said:
Very nice work. Machining from solid takes so darn much time getting curves and tangent points in the right spots. I made my 302 from solid and I try to explain to people the amount of time involved as compared to working from castings. The small touches like the name on the heads really sets these pieces off. It goes from a billet engine to a really nice miniature. Good luck with the rest of the project.
gbritnell

Gbritnell,
Talk about nice work! Your 302 is very impressive!! Fantastic job. I Love the alternator and the fuel pump. Are the valve covers and pan from billet or stamped? Did you build the carb?
Regards,
Roger

Thank you all for the kind words. This week end I started lapping the valves. This is turning out to be a very long and tedious job. In two days I managed to only get six done. I did take a break and took some pictures of some of the parts.
13.jpg

Here is a little better shot of the intake with the generator, breather, and carbs.
17.jpg

The Pan with starter and rear engine stand.
18.jpg

Here are some shots of the block.
19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

I ordered some 2024 for the pistons and some cast iron for the rings. I am planning on two compression rings and one oil control ring for each. Once they are done all I will need to finish up will be the ignition.
Best regards,
Roger

Roger,
What you are doing there is a work of art in how to shape metal.
As gb said, getting all the compound shapes must be the hard part.

Can't wait to see what it finishes up like.

John

:eek: Roger that's a real beauty! I bet you can't wait to hear it roar? ;D

Could you put a rule (or something easy to gauge size by) in the next pic' please?

This might sound daft to a few out there but... Could you tell me what EDM is please?

Thank you,

Ralph.

Very nice. I want one!!! I'm not sure if you are familiar with forum rules but at least 1 long video must be posted when building an engine like this. Don't be turned away... I think it is an internet rule in general :)
Tim

Very nice engine, I wish I could machine things though. I could work wonders. Hope the engine is a hit

Divided He ad said:
:eek: Roger that's a real beauty! I bet you can't wait to hear it roar? ;D

Could you put a rule (or something easy to gauge size by) in the next pic' please?

This might sound daft to a few out there but... Could you tell me what EDM is please?

Thank you,

Ralph.

Hi Ralph,
I will put something in for reference with the next pictures but for now the block is 6.255 inches long.
Regards,
Roger

zeusrekning said:
Very nice. I want one!!! I'm not sure if you are familiar with forum rules but at least 1 long video must be posted when building an engine like this. Don't be turned away... I think it is an internet rule in general :)
Tim

Hi Tim,
I can't do a long one but my digital camera will take a short one. Maybe I can borrow one. I will post as soon as I get it running.
Best regards,
Roger

Marv, thank you once again for pointing me in the right direction... I'm going to read it and try to retain it shortly ;D

Thank you for the size ref' Roger, it is quite wonderful how some of you guys out there make these miniatures. I used to recondition full size IC engines and they were hard enough to work with!!

I'll keep looking at this thread... I want to see the vid' too. You could just take 3-5 short vid's and edit them to make a longer one... 2 minutes is long enough for some engines... this one might take 4-5 though ;D

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back