My first project

Discussion in 'A Work In Progress' started by Kpar, Feb 24, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 24, 2018 #1

Kpar

Kpar

Kpar

Kpar

Well I'm just learning ( for a mid 70 old) to use my Lathe & Bench Mill and decided on a project I thought was going to be simple.(nothing is). Anyway I'm a Vintage Ford fan with a couple of cars and after seeing a replica of Henry Fords First Engine I thought I would give it a go.
    A simple project made out of pipe fittings with a bit of machining. I soon found it was a bit more than that. I've just about got most of the bits together with a couple of challenges with the Exhaust Valve & the Cast Iron Piston. My next challenge which I've never attempted is a couple of inside & outside keyways.
    The photo shows where I'm up to at this stage with sections only hand screwed together until all parts are available. Next is a crank shaft, counterweight & a wherever I can a Flywheel. I've mad a few mistakes but it's been fun. One big mistake I should have use parallel threads on fittings to close up the combustion chamber as compression is an issue.
    Comments on keyway cutting would be appreciated.
    Keith

DSCF0113.jpg

hitandmissman likes this.
  2. Feb 24, 2018 #2

Herbiev

Herbiev

Herbiev

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Global Moderator

Looking great so far

3. Feb 25, 2018 #3

vederstein

vederstein

vederstein

Must do dumb things....

The best way to make a keyway is to broach it. If you're willing to pay well over $100 for even a Chinese broach set. The cheap way is to clamp a parting tool in the lathe and whittle out a groove.

I've tried this a few times and with each time I get a little better, but it's certainly not the best way to accomplish this task.

[​IMG]

4. Feb 25, 2018 #4

deeferdog

deeferdog

deeferdog

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

5. Feb 25, 2018 #5

rlukens

rlukens

rlukens

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner Global Moderator

6. Feb 25, 2018 #6

Kpar

Kpar

Kpar

Kpar

Thanks guys, I will have a go at using parting off blade & boring bar in the mill on a bit of scrap.
    I do remember in my young days my Dad had a jig that clamped in a vice and you could fit several hacksaw blades in it to the required key width
    and saw away. Not sure if it was home made or if they were available back then.

7. Feb 26, 2018 #7

Ratshooter

Ratshooter

Ratshooter

A couple things: 1, put a dummy shaft in your pulley, and drill halfway into the work (and halfway in the scrap shaft) This will make the "carriage pumping" with the parting tool less tedious. 2. Practice on something that doesn't matter and see if you can make it work before you put your one of a kind part in harm's way. Don't ask me how I know..........