My first IC engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely engines Ramon! IC model aircraft engines are my main machining interest, so threads like these are great to see :)

Are you planning to fly any of these engines? I have an ML Midge in progress at the moment (on hiatus due to life getting in the way) that I'm planning to fly.

Hi 'Trizza'

It's good to hear of someone else with a similar interest in making these engines. What I enjoy about them is their small part count and short build time but that, if plans work out for next year, is likely to change significantly ;)

I have had considerable encouragement to put one in an aircraft but have to confess that is unlikely. I have flown control line actively since my teens but have not done so since 2006. I must admit it sometimes I think it would be nice to see one of the Racers in a similarly scaled stunt model - a '334G' or a 'Blue Pants' but there's insufficient drive to build for that to happen.

They come out of hiding on the odd day and get a run - if nothing else just to refresh that smell of diesel fuel in their boxes ;D - but most of the time they hide in a drawer - no they are not on display, well not as yet.

Good luck with the Midge - is that an American engine BTW?

Regards - Ramon

I believe that the Midge's designer, Mark Lubbock, is British. I couldn't say for certain, however. Its a nice simple little engine that one.

wow nice . i like the ed 2.46 racer. impressive job. would like to find some plans for that model .thanks james

Hello James- it's been a long time since I made those engines and the drawings were laid out on paper.

They were featured the build article in the Model Engineer magazine however so if you can source the issues that would be all you need.

Regards - Ramon

The Mark Lubbock 'Midge' is a 0.5cc/0.8cc simple sideport barstock diesel that featured in 'Aviation Modeller International' in 1997 in the April and June issues.....quite a number have been made over the years: you can find more information here in the 'projects' section... http://www.modelenginenews.org/

ChrisM

Hi again James,

I am certain I did the original engines from pencil drawings but have just found that at some stage I did these on CAD too so your luck is in.

I have attached the first three of ten drawings for you - I replied to your PM - did you see it? By putting them on here then others have access too.

I'll post the remainder in due course

Regards - Ramon

I must have done these when I first learnt AoutoCad. They are what they are, done for my ow use - I lay no claims to being a draughtsman and accept no responsibility for errors ;)

Attachments

• Dwg 01 - X2 Racer General arrangement - FV.pdf
    88.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Dwg 02 - X2-Racer Crankcase - FV.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Dwg 03 - X2-Racer Crankshaft - FV.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 394
Back