My First Glow Plug Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yse you need to lap teh crankshaft to the bearing and also lap teh barrel into the carb.

J

I hope you enjoy your holiday Gus. When you return, we will still be here to follow your next build.

You mention Melbourne and Sydney. If you are coming to Canberra, drop in and have a chat.

Jim

Before keeping engine as non-operational collection display on my PC Desk,have decided to knock up an engine
test stand to have engine and ancillary properly fixed in place.
Time spent was entire morning.
Now after posting,will go over meet the fishy friends to listen to their lastest catch. Beware most fishos are liars
including Gus,they blow up their catch for fotos.
Later in the evening to do final start.This time no loose items to watch.

Expert advice welcome.Carb inlet and Needle valve outlet now same level to avoid excessive fuel into carb or drain off carb.
Hopefully by 6pm I report good news.

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you enjoy your holiday Gus. When you return, we will still be here to follow your next build.

You mention Melbourne and Sydney. If you are coming to Canberra, drop in and have a chat.

Jim

Would drop by if my numerous relatives release me.Would be great to chat with Jim who share common interest. I have two bosses to visit,one in Yarra and one in Bandanoon.One will buy dinner and I buy lunch for the other.These were my great bosses.Bandanoon took me off the street and the other compensated me very well for my retrenchement.So money .No worries.
Will make it somehow next trip.

Personally, I still think your tank is positioned quite low relative to the venturi outlet (I assume the upper line). Your muffler must provide lots of back pressure to boost or 'lift fuel up hill' to this position (hydrostatic head) & it will only do that at relatively high rpm. Even when you get it running with the right needle valve setting like this, it will go lean as the fuel depletes so be careful of overheating.

2012-10-01_230008.jpg

Personally, I still think your tank is positioned quite low relative to the venturi outlet (I assume the upper line). Your muffler must provide lots of back pressure to boost or 'lift fuel up hill' to this position (hydrostatic head) & it will only do that at relatively high rpm. Even when you get it running with the right needle valve setting like this, it will go lean as the fuel depletes so be careful of overheating.

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the prompt & good advice.

Hank crank priming brought fuel to carb inlet but drop back.Raised fuel tank height as advised,fuel now remained primed and fuel flow seems to be steady. Engine did make false start,tried few more rounds with futile results.
Suspect compression insufficient.Compression may be a notch below minimum quantum.Looks engine will be on static display on my P.C. desk.
Taking a break into Thailand and over to Melbourne and Sydney for three weeks.
Will most likely make new engine all over again since I bought enough material to build three engines.This time will be smarter with the fits and honing to ensure I get good compression and crankcase vacuum.

I have a 3/4 done miniature compression diesel engine.Will finish up piston,con rod and carb.This is practice honing sleeve and piston to compression fit. Honestly my honing skill is not good.

Looking forward to this weekend fishing now the SW monsoon over and good weather window for two months and Monday 8 Oct to Thailand.

Yse you need to lap teh crankshaft to the bearing and also lap teh barrel into the carb.

J

Hi Jason,

This where I goofed. May be good reason why Chinese Engines are not as good as Japanese. The Firefly is not very forgiving with the the critical fits.

Will make new engine.I bought material enough to build three engines.

Taking a break from Monday 8 Oct for a week and thereafter to Melbourne and Sydney. November is another trip to Nanjing,China.My ex-China boss wants to see me and he is pay for travel,food and hotel.Gus is too old to take back his old job--------Tech Consultant,Air Compressors.

Saw this article in the latest Model Engineers' Workshop.
Time to upgrade and move over to an improved version of my World ! QCToolPost.See other foto.

Calling all Gurus,your expert advise required to make this QCTPost.
Foto attached.

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

Last edited:
I have been involved in building a few .60 sized engines. I built mine and got it running, and helped some students I was working with get theirs running. Made the crank out of 4140HT and the bearing out of a 6061-T6 aluminum block. The block was reamed and the crank was polished with fine emery cloth. When the fit was right they ran great. When the fit was bad...

Should be able to see mine to the left here.

Latest posts

Back