My first engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all,
i finally got around to finishing the machine work on my wobble plate motor ;D.
i actually got it to run for a bit just by using the air blower in the intake ;D. i could not run it for long tho as my blower has a crack in it and my compressor could not keep up with them both.
now all i have to do is make it look pretty.
will upload a video when i get a chance

n657399031_1299520_916.jpg

n657399031_1299521_2094.jpg

Very nice work R_m. Congrats on completing it and the first run too!!! Looking forward to the video as well

Bill

I may need to make a new wobble plate tho as the valve doesn't open fully into each port. Or i was thinking of just making the groove in the valve bigger to allow it to fully open. Other than that i am very happy with the results considering it being my first one and my complete lack of tooling......
thanks to all for your advise

Before you start remaking parts, try one of the other pivot holes in the arm that actuates the valve. That may increase the valve throw enough to solve your problem. In fact, I think that's why Elmer put those three pivot points in the plans.

i have it in the lowest one as it is. when i made the wobble plate the fit was a bit loose on the hub so i tried to just hold it at the right angle..... that was when i discovered that i cant braze to save myself ???. i wonder if it would make much difference making it from steel??? that way i could just tack it in place with the tig at work.

It doesn't need to be brazed. Since it's spinning in the open air it will never get very hot, even if the engine is operated on steam. Just soft solder it.

I made a little fixture to hold it at the correct angle, then applied a couple of solder pillions to the joint and hit it with the torch. Worked a treat and has been running just fine for years.

oh ok. i have not done any soft soldering before so i have no idea ??? i also don't have any flux or solder :( that is why i tried to braze it. i wonder if i made the parts up again if a radiator shop would solder them for me ??? worth a try i suppose ;D

I frequently use solder paste for small jobs like this. I get it at OSH but I would imagine that HD or Lowes would have it too, as would any credible plumbing supply store.

Soldering paste, as the name suggests, is a thick paste-like substance containing finely ground solder in a matrix of flux. After cleaning and degreasing the joint well, apply a fine coat of the paste and join the parts. Apply heat to the more massive piece of the assembly until the paste turns to bright silver and you're done.

Since the solder and flux is all in place before heating begins, you have excellent control over the amount and placement of the solder so you get really neat joints with no sloppy "runs".

Ross,
I can't tell from the pictures...did you solder the wobble plate to a hub or directly to the crankshaft? A brass hub and plate should hold up for ever and makes soft soldering (as Marv suggests) even easier. Also the smaller sub-assembly is easier to hold/fixture to get the offset just right.

Bill

mklotz said:
I frequently use solder paste for small jobs like this. I get it at OSH but I would imagine that HD or Lowes would have it too, as would any credible plumbing supply store.

Soldering paste, as the name suggests, is a thick paste-like substance containing finely ground solder in a matrix of flux. After cleaning and degreasing the joint well, apply a fine coat of the paste and join the parts. Apply heat to the more massive piece of the assembly until the paste turns to bright silver and you're done.

Since the solder and flux is all in place before heating begins, you have excellent control over the amount and placement of the solder so you get really neat joints with no sloppy "runs".
Hmm.. I've had terrible luck with the solder-in-a-syringe paste stuff sold at my local HD & Lowes. Balls up, won't flow, burns easily at the slightest provocation.

A little jar of flux and some thin wire solder from four spaces away in the same aisle works well for me.

hi all,
thanks for the advice. i made a new wobble plate today ;D. i got some flux and some solder. it still took some work tho.... until i worked out that it was easier to heat from the opposite side to the solder...... doesn't matter its all done now. all i have to do is fit it to the motor and get it to run smooth again. I got the offset a lot better this time.

thanks ross

hi all,
i finaly got around to making a vid today. had a few issues during the week. i had the cylinder locktited in place put it let go. so i had to weld the cylinder on but then the piston would not fit properly so i had to use some cutting compound to free up the piston again. all is good now tho..... as you can see ;D
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOxLVzan9Bk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOxLVzan9Bk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Congratulations,

A very nice engine. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Ross

Absolutely superb, VERY well done, i love the action of the valve gear and the fact that it will run so slowly.

First class job :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Kind regards

Malcolm

Now that's why I want to build this engine... How good does it look when it's going slow?!?!

Nice work Ross, :bow: ;D

How good is that feeling when you get it running?! :D

Looking forward to the next one ;D

Ralph.

P.S. There are some good threads on soldering out there, both silver and soft. A little search should find them easily enough?... Just in case you want any further info to help in future?

Ross,
That's a very fine looking and running engine. :bow:

It's amazing how slow it will go. Don't get to see that too often with small engines.

Kevin

Congrats Ross!

Looks and runs great!

Rick

Cool engine Ross. I like the slow rpm action. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back