My first casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jef-lemmens

Reaction score
Because I wanted to build the Nova 4,5cc diesel engine , I had to cast the crankcase and cilinderhead , after some reading and to have viewed some movies on youtube I started on my first casting , and I find it pretty good :cool:

Nova 036.jpg

Nova 056.jpg

Nova 058.jpg

Nice work. I'd also be interested in more details.

Years ago I built a large furnace with the view of casting parts for a Gingery lathe, however I only cast one part before I was gifted a Sieg C3.
It has since sat unused for the last 15 or so years, but I 'm now considering dragging it out to cast some flywheels... If I still have the muscle to move it.

Thanks guys , I will be post a series of photos of the procedure , if you still have any questions please let me know , and I will try to answer them .
It all starts with making the mold ...... This mold is made in one piece and is not separable .

Nova 001.jpg

Nova 002.jpg

Nova 004.jpg

Nova 006.jpg

Nova 008.jpg

Nova 009.jpg

Nova 010.jpg

Nova 011.jpg

Nova 012.jpg

Nova 013.jpg

After making the mold I have an additional wooden plate made to separate the mold in two parts in the molding sand .
The sand is oil-based , I think it's called Petro-Bond in English .
For the aluminium I use old pistons .
To separate the two parts from each other I use baby talcum powder :D

Nova 018.jpg

Nova 019.jpg

Nova 020.jpg

Nova 021.jpg

Nova 022.jpg

Nova 023.jpg

Nova 025.jpg

Nova 026.jpg

After making the mold I have an additional wooden plate made to separate the mold in two parts in the molding sand .

From the pictures I think I understand how you did it. Yet I still have a question. Did you have stop blocks or some device to ensure the pattern didn't protrude too far though the wooden plate?

I'm having a bit of a time understanding how you ensure your final casting was round and not oblong.

(Sorry to be a pest, but if I get a bonus this year from my company, I plan on getting into casting. So I'm trying to learn what I can.)

Thanks,

...Ved.

Hi

Good job, very nice parts. Love the finish you get with new sand. With use the sand will turn black and the finnish will not be nearly as good. I use oil based sand and mine is now several years old. I think the clays get burned out with use. I have found that warm sand sticks together better and gives a much better finish. Show us your furnace.

Mark T

From the pictures I think I understand how you did it. Yet I still have a question. Did you have stop blocks or some device to ensure the pattern didn't protrude too far though the wooden plate?

I'm having a bit of a time understanding how you ensure your final casting was round and not oblong.

(Sorry to be a pest, but if I get a bonus this year from my company, I plan on getting into casting. So I'm trying to learn what I can.)

Thanks,

...Ved.

Absolutely no problem to answer your question, see attached drawing/picture, maybe it's obviously so, and otherwise ask again .

Regards Jef

DSCN4389.jpg

Good job, very nice parts.Show us your furnace. Mark T

Thanks Mark , I still have no furnace, I use a stainless steel pot and an oxygen-acetylene burner :D , but the intention is there to build one in the future .

Regards Jef

Latest posts

Back