MY EPICYCLIC STEAM ENGINE VIDEO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don1966

Reaction score
Well another video I finally got around to completeing. These videos take a long time to upload. One thing I noticed in the video is the flywheel moving in and out. After I posted the video I noticed it. Checking the engine I found the small gear screw loose and I have not ran it again, but I do need to recheck it. I realy need to find the exact cause.

Don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tATHpPWNfIE&feature=youtu.be

Wow, is that ever nice. Nice and slow too.

I really enjoy the epicyclic engines.

Don, A really nice engine - come on give us a close up vid of the epicyclic end in slow mo - I was so dissapointed your video ended when it did.

KP

Ken

It's a real beauty - the finish is spectacular. Whose design is it?

Cracking Job Don

Stew

Thanks guy for your all kind words, but this engine was my second engine and I did make a lot of mistakes on it. Alot of redos I should say. The Flywheel ring is made from four pieces silver brazed together and turned in the lathe. My lathe was not quiet big enough to handle it and I had a rough time with it.
The cylinder was made twice, the steam chest made twice, the cross brace made twice. and that is my second set of gears. You have to be careful when installing the gears the teeth have to align perfect. Even though the plans give you a jig to mount the gears with, it does not tell you about teeth alignment.

Woodguy the engine plans you can get from LMS, and was design by Bill Reichart.

Dgjessing the gears are Boston Gears.

Regards Don

I love it Don. It is very nicely made. :)

I have a question about flywheels that are made up from separate spokes like that. did you have to take a cleanup pass on the outside surfaces once the wheel was assembled?

Brian I did have to takea clean up pass, but one main reason was I had to drill the securing holes by hand it would not fit my mill.

Don

Don, seeing it run, is the cherry on the cake, it sure is a beauty

Les

That's a beautiful engine Don!

Very classy and appropriately "blinged"....and a "runna!" :bow: :bow:

Great video DON!!! just sitting here watching it run, thinking about much work
you put in on that engine. Thanks Don for being a great mentor to me and
sharing your knowledge with me.

Jim

Don
That is one beautiful engine!!
It will be my next as soon as I finish the current Elmer's radial.
I ordered the plans directly from Phyliss Reichart.
Www.billreichart.com

Best
Stan

Stan I am sure you will enjoy building this one I had a rough time, but stayed the coarse and it payed off. My wife liked it and put it on my table next to my recliner so I bought and put it in a doll case.

Eric below is a photo for you.

Don
EPICYCLICSTEAMENGINE.jpg

Every bit a beautifule in a still picture Don as it is running....fantastic job!!!

Bill

Don, that's just lovely - fits right into my wierd stuff I want to build.

Now added to my lengthy list of things to do.

KP for the effort - thanks for the pic - now I get it - well done.

Ken

Back