My easy solution to No More Clogged Spray Paint Rattle Cans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in your descrition of cans that spray paint when upside down, I've not come across those in the UK, how do they pick up the paint when in the upright position?

stay safe and healthy,

TerryD
;)

Thanks Terry
Of course, the paint can nozzles have changed to give a better spray pattern

I have noticed Rustoleum spray cans have enough paint in the pickup tube to spray paint for 15 seconds with the can upside down.

I have saved empty cans that still have propellant to be used for cleaning out spray caps from other cans but this leaves a lot of paint inside the spray pickup tube that was never sprayed out with the can upside down.

If a used can that has a clean spray cap but paint was left in the pickup tube, is left on the shelf for a year it often plugs up and will never spray again.

I think it is important to hold can upside down spray for 15 seconds until pickup tube and spray cap are both cleaned out. It is better to waste 15 seconds of paint than to loose the whole can of paint.

My work shop is not heated we have 15°F winter weather. I have also learned to take cold spray cans into the house to warm up 1 day before using the spray can. Sometimes I put spray cans in a pan of very warm water for 1 hour to warm up the paint. Warm paint is thinner when shaking the can paint mixes much better. If there are blobs of unmixed paint in the can the blobs will plug up the sprayer.

Last edited:
I also remove caps and put them in a jar of acetone.

For me my method is just easier because the nozzle is cleaned immediately and put back loose inside the can lid. I have so many different cans being used often and from different mamufacturers and they all have different nozzle's (even same brands) it saves me having to hunt for the correct nozzle.

I have found that the little "straw" that is on cans of brake cleaner is a good fit for the valve side of the spray can button. I clean out the paint by removing the button and spraying brake cleaner through the nozzle. I also try to get out any paint that is down in the hollow valve stem. IMHO, any paint that is on the atmosphere side of the valve is going to be a problem eventually. The old style cans that you could clear by inverting were much easier to live with, but the new ones that will spray in any position are a PITA for those of us who don't use up the whole can. On paying jobs I seldom use a partial can because I can't count on it working and I can't afford to spend half an hour messing around with a clogged spray can. I have also associated clogging with inadequate shaking. I generally shake the can for longer than the suggested two minutes especially if it has been sitting for a long time. Works for me. YMMV

G'day Ed, so far I've never had a problem with the valve getting clogged but your hint of using the straw that comes with cans of cleaner type contents and that it fits down the valve is a good idea and double insurance that you'll get to use all the spray cans contents.

Jim et al,
Just to clarify, I don't think I have ever had the valve itself clog from paint. However, depending somewhat on the kind of paint, I have had what I feel was dried paint inside the valve stem come loose from the action of the solvent in the new paint coming through the valve. This material is transferred to the spray orifice by the flow of fresh paint and instant clog results. The symptom is spraying starts out OK and abruptly stops before you're finished. As a side note to using the brake cleaner, I think the pressure of the brake cleaner that I have is higher than the pressure in the spray cans I have so, sometimes, it can blow out a clog that the paint can itself cannot do. Wear glasses or a face shield with the brake cleaner. It tends to go in unexpected directions.

G'day Ed, I like using the turps through one of those pipette things. I try my best these days to limit my skin exposure to all the nasties like thinners, brake cleaner etc etc. Some people have mentioned using thing wire like music wire to unclog blocked nozzles. I've never had any success with that method as even a slight deformation of the nozzles I've ended up getting blobs of paint instead of the fine mist.

Latest posts

Back