My easy solution to No More Clogged Spray Paint Rattle Cans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a Great simple practical Solution.
Thanks a Zillion for showing and Sharing
ATB
TC
aRM

Thanks Alan hope it helps folks out. I had to throw out so many rattle cans over the years because of clogged jets and no propellent left inside.
solvent to suit the paint. some may need 'cellulose thinners' or xylene, for example. my preferred option has been a little solvent in a small jar, to clean nozzle.

Been there done it, but you still need to flush excess paint from the can valve other wise you end up with cans half full and it won't come out unless to drill the nozzle! DON'T DO IT! You will paint the ceiling, your hair, face, etc. And the drilling machine. It doesn't stop! Just one big whoosh!
Of course, this is only in my imagination, but I have tins that have blocked valves through lack of cleaning, not lack of propellent.
Cheers,
K2

I remove all the nozzles from all the cans and keep them in a sealed bottle full of acetone. hen needed I fish out the cap that fit the can (they are all different) and go spraying. When done the cap goes back in the bottle.

I found that the tiny hole in the cap is the clogging problem. the tube and paint path to the cap is large enough that does not clog.

Been there done it, but you still need to flush excess paint from the can valve other wise you end up with cans half full and it won't come out unless to drill the nozzle! DON'T DO IT! You will paint the ceiling, your hair, face, etc. And the drilling machine. It doesn't stop! Just one big whoosh!
Of course, this is only in my imagination, but I have tins that have blocked valves through lack of cleaning, not lack of propellent.
Cheers,
K2

No you haven't because the valve doesn't get clogged.

I remove all the nozzles from all the cans and keep them in a sealed bottle full of acetone. hen needed I fish out the cap that fit the can (they are all different) and go spraying. When done the cap goes back in the bottle.

I found that the tiny hole in the cap is the clogging problem. the tube and paint path to the cap is large enough that does not clog.

That would work, my idea works well for me because I have so many different cans with so many different spray caps and leaving them loose in the lid means I easily get the right spray cap for the right can and you're right (unlike what steamchook said) the cans nozzles don't get clogged.

I too usually find it's the cap that clogs, I keep a thin stiff bit of brass wire that I just poke through and it cleans it every time.

I'm simply and turn the can upside down and squirt the unused paint out of the nozzle and tube
This works in many cases except that now there are offerings where the can is designed to allow paint to come out when the can is upside down and thus this method of clearing doesn't work. Also as the original poster noted, when spraying small parts and then clearing upside down, he runs out of propellant before the paint is consumed. I am in the school of giving the nozzle a quick rinse in the appropriate solvent before returning the can to the shelf, which I have been doing for many years. I have not found the need to blow it out as the OP does.

While I have cleaned nozzles many ways, using solvent on the bench does save the propellent in the can for spraying.
But old tins - even with propellent remaining can clog - I have 2 in the garage - and pressing the stem gets nothing out. But the cans are still pressurised (the sides still feel like new, I cannot dent them with my hands the way I check for empty cans.).
K2

I just stick a piece of music wire in the little hole. Works fine.

That being said, I think I'll now try storing all of the nozzles in a little jar of thinner; I still have dozens of baby-food jars left from when my son was little-- in 1976.

I have used several different solvents to clean out the spray nozzle caps with the air compressor like the video shows it works good.

I have a problem with the can valve getting clogged up. After the can sets on the shelf for a year it needs to be warmed up to room temperature then shake the can for 5 minutes. If paint is cold 30°F blobs of paint in the can will not dissolve into liquid. If a paint blob gets in the can value it is plugger up for good. I have tried to blow compress air into paint can but it never unclogged the valve.

I had an idea to build a paint can rotator to store paint cans in. The 3 RPM motor from a microwave oven works ok for a few cans rotating for a whole year until I need to use one.

I just stick a piece of music wire in the little hole. Works fine.

That being said, I think I'll now try storing all of the nozzles in a little jar of thinner; I still have dozens of baby-food jars left from when my son was little-- in 1976.

LOL you never know when things will come in handy, that's why its good to never throw anything away :)

This works in many cases except that now there are offerings where the can is designed to allow paint to come out when the can is upside down and thus this method of clearing doesn't work. Also as the original poster noted, when spraying small parts and then clearing upside down, he runs out of propellant before the paint is consumed. I am in the school of giving the nozzle a quick rinse in the appropriate solvent before returning the can to the shelf, which I have been doing for many years. I have not found the need to blow it out as the OP does.

I'm with Norman, I've been using these cans getting on for 60 years (not the same can though) and never have a clogged nozzle. If I have a lot of small components - I practise wargaming and spray most of my figures with a spray primer and base colour, and I wait 'til I have a few and spray themall at the same time - when all done I invert the can and a 2 second burst as advised by the manufacturer does the job. At the moment I'm using a 400ml can of primer/filler which is quite viscous and have had perhaps 30 to 40 short sessions of about 2 mins length over the last couple of days, used propellant to blow out the nozzle after use and I still have plenty of it left, more than enough to use up the last bit of paint.

I'm interested in your descrition of cans that spray paint when upside down, I've not come across those in the UK, how do they pick up the paint when in the upright position?

stay safe and healthy,

TerryD

Back