My dream realized - or at least a start

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I always wanted my own shop, ever since hanging out with my Dad in his shed when I was a kid.

Finally it is starting to come together - not the best shop in the world, but it doesn't matter, it's my own little piece of metalworking universe, and I really like hanging out in it.

The floor is a bit broken up by chipmunks burrowing under it, but my cats and I have seen them off now, and I can live with it as is for now.

These few pics give you a quick insight, more coming this weekend.

This is a view into one corner of my shop - you can see my new lathe, and my 4 bikes (look carefully)

4bikes.jpg

Here are close ups of the lathe - a Grizzly 12" swing, 37" centres, gap bed, belt drive, back gear machine. It came with a heavy duty steel stand, but I made my own very simple wooden frame for it, as I am 6' 3" and wanted it at a little more appropriate height for me. The legs on the frame are NOT square, as they take out the uneveness of the floor. That frame is not going anywhere, and the lathe is level - so I'm happy enough with that.

lathe1.jpg

headstock3.jpg

lathe2.jpg

My drill press - my Dad bought me this when he visited me last year.

drillpress.jpg

And - a close up of my two favourite bikes.

2bikes.jpg

So there you have it, I'll post a couple more pics after the weekend.

Cheers!

Stuart

Stuart, Very nice looking toys you've got there! I do have to say I don't like the look of that lathe. It is too clean. I tell ya what.. You come down and get all the swarf off of my machines you want. Free of charge of course:) My lathe is not a Grizzley and is green but it's identical to yours.
Tim

Stuart,
Very nice shop indeed! I love all the pin-up artwork, too.

As Tim said, much too clean. You'll have to do something about that.

I noticed the Triumph. Just had to bring a little bit of England with you , eh?

You're right!

That lathe looks atrocious! These pictures were taken when it was literally just out of the crate - in fact in these pics it is still covered in shipping grease, and is not even wired in!

I am happy to say that it has been christened - by making 4 brass bushings. Not very impressive - but more to come. I will have better pics soon.

Can't wait for this weekend, I just got some new bits for it, and I'll be getting started early on saturday.

Thanks for your responses - much appreciated.

And - yeah - I had to have the triumph. On the back shelves, in boxes and on the walls, is a 1960 Matchless G12 de luxe 650 cc twin motorcycle - another project on the list!

Cheers all!

Stuart

Nice shop, great lathe, & tools; really nice scooters and pin-ups... but my gawd man; get rid of the leaf rake! Have you no shame? :eek:

No friggin' yard tools allowed in a man's workshop! ;D Next it'll be bags of fertilizer, then flower pots, then...I shudder to think of what comes next.

Sorry, I'm just jealous. I haven't had a bike since the 70's. :(

Nice shop.

I see the frame on the shelf and the wheels on the wall. I can't tell on this laptop screen... but is that a dunstall style tank too? Nice 11 you got there. I had one of those in the 90's... Muzzy tuned ;D

Eric

DICKEYBIRD said:
Nice shop, great lathe, & tools; really nice scooters and pin-ups... but my gawd man; get rid of the leaf rake! Have you no shame? :eek:

No friggin' yard tools allowed in a man's workshop! ;D Next it'll be bags of fertilizer, then flower pots, then...I shudder to think of what comes next.

Sorry, I'm just jealous. I haven't had a bike since the 70's. :(

That's fair comment - I decided six years ago that I should keep the garden tidy, so I bought the leaf rake. After 2 hours of futile work, I hung the thing up, made a cup of tea and have never touched the thing since. The wind blows all the leaves away anyway so what do I care?

The leaf rake stays because technically it IS a tool - and it's against my karma to lose a tool...........

Thanks Brass Machine - it's a little difficult to make the matchless out on the back shelves - but it's there and you managed to pick out the frame and wheels! the rest is in the cardboard boxes. What looks like a dunstall tank is actually a spare Triumph seat and the KZ650 seat on top of each other - an optical illusion I'm afraid, but not deliberate, just a poor picture on my part. I've tuned my ZX1100 a little bit, but not a lot. Just a dynojet kit to improve throttle response.

I'll hide the rake in the barn. I'm going to need that wall to put shelves to store proper tools anyway!

Stuart

Nice lathe and it looks like you have plenty of room to put more equipment in as you acquire it.

oh boy have we got him hooked now!!!!!!!!!! ;D

moving the rake to the barn and wanting to get into the shop first thing Saturday morning.
next thing you know he will be taking days off work, (such as I'm doing today) just to get some things done in the shop :big:

seriously tho that is one very nice looking lathe, you will have years worth of enjoyment with it, unless you start making finger engines like bogs...............then you will have enough coin to buy bigger and fancier equipment! :big: :D ;)

cheers
chuck

Chuck,

Just to put you on the straight and narrow.

I never, ever, sell any of my engines.

I occasionally exchange them for other items, most times they are swapped for some wierd stuff called cash, and that is a totally different thing from selling.

John

Looks like a fine start to me Stuart ;D ............ enjoy

CC ;)

Thankyou all - thankyou. I do appreciate the positive comments.

I just finished ordering a bunch of barstock, having decided that my first engine will be a "wobble plate" engine - I found some plans via a simple internet search. This looks like a nice simple engine that should be within my reach for a first attempt. It has a 2" flywheel, and 3/8" bore. Once I have made at least one piece I will begin posting pictures on the appropriate thread in the forum, to show progress. I will not be shy about posting pictures of the bits that go wrong, as I will require your input in order to improve and progress.

I am hooked. No doubt about it, and your encouragement is very welcome.

Stuart:
remember the home shop is like a university engineering lab no mistakes just learning experiences.
Some of my engines have some interesting unplanned modifications.
it is weird sometimes things will fall into place and other times one has to make the same part over 4 times. se la vi .
Tin

Well,

It has been a long time. My plans for making model engines did not go quite how I envisaged this year, so I have not posted on the forum in a long time. That's OK - nothing bad happened, just different projects.

I did get to use my grizzly for a few things, and made a few special tools for other projects, so that's all good experience. Nothing to post pictures of yet.

Anyway - I am pumped because today I just aquired a 1967 atlas 12" lathe from a machinist that I work with. He wanted rid of it, and let me have it for 200 bucks. I couldn't pass that up. It comes with original manual and brochure, plus 3 and 4 jaw chucks, two faceplates, steady rest and some tooling, so I think it is a pretty good find.

Sure it's been turning out parts for 40 years, but it's basically sound and running. My plan is to strip it down and clean it, coat of paint and fresh grease and oil, and reassemble it in my spare room in the house, so I can get into machining in the toasty warm over winter, while the wind howls outside. ;D

Very cool. I will post pics of it as is over the next couple of days - and post more pics of the rebuild as it comes along.

Another project on the list!

Great catch, Propforward. One thing you might not be aware of... some of these old lathes have a lot of bed wear up next to the headstock. Not to worry though, a precision grinding company can put it back near new. About 10 years ago, I had an 11" Logan bed with v-ways reground to within .0002" and it cost me $300. That's more than I paid for the lathe, but it sure did make it a lot more accurate! Since yours has flat ways, it might cost even less. Then again, maybe your lathe don't even need it.

Chuck

Very nice, Stuart. You are going to have to keep us up to date on the restoration, and lots of pics of course.

It's good to see you are still around. I'd been wondering where you were off to.

Thanks Guys,

Excellent advice on the bedways - that is something I had not considered at all. Fortunately, this comes from a machinist I have known for 10 years, and he was very up front about its condition - he was using it to turn parts that he was selling up until 3 weeks ago, when he simply replaced it. So there could well be some innaccuracy, and certainly it needs a good going over, but everything works except for the longitudinal feed, because the half nut is broken. No biggie.

The way I see it, this is a great opportunity to get really familiar with lathes in general, by giving this one a bit of a rebuild. And anyway, it's fun.

Here are a couple of pictures to start. I got it home and plucked it off the trailer this evening.

This is just getting ready to get it airborne from the trailer using an engine hoist:

IMG_0784Small.jpg

This is the lathe suspended, having driven the trailer away:

IMG_0787Small.jpg

Closeup of the headstock:

IMG_0789Small.jpg

Shot of the lathe next to my Grizzly. This is not the permanent location for the atlas. Starting this weekend I will dismantle it, and start cleaning and repainting, and relocating the machine piece by piece to my spare bedroom. Hmmm. Best get some protective covering on the walls, floor and ceiling............that first oil fling can be devastating to white painted plaster walls!

IMG_0791Small.jpg

It's a pleasure to be posting again - I have never really been away from the site, but I felt like a bit of an eejit posting things like "I'm going to machine something one day, honest!" so I just enjoyed watching all the lovely engines come together!

Ah, the ubiquitous Harbor Freight folding leg engine hoist. Used one myself to move my mill. I'd almost bet they've moved more machinery than engines.

You should be able to make another half nut. Sounds like you have a project already ;D

Congratulations on the new acquisition and a successful move.

Outstanding shop, prop!

What are plans for a milling machine? I think I was lathe only for my first 18 months machining. It was good for me to get pretty well on with the lathe before complicating matters with a mistress. My lathe is still "home base". I can throw a piece of stock in a chuck and get where I'm going almost without thinking. It'll be fun for you to have the luxury of 2 lathes, and I'll bet you'll learn a lot of interesting things restoring the Atlas and comparing the performance of the two.

Cheers,

BW

Ah yes - this engine hoist has never actually touched an engine, but boy it has been a useful tool.

I was thinking the same thing on the half nut - it would be an excellent project to gain familiarity with some important machining techniques.

As for a mill - that's a must have! I have the "feelers" out around my contacts in machine shops, but it is getting harder and harder to come by decent used equipment at a low price (go figure). In these times, everyone wants to get the most out of what they have - and you certainly can't fault them for that.

So I'll keep my eyes open, and if nothing turns up by the end of next year, then I might be in a position to by a smaller vertical mill from Grizzly or similar. I'm very happy with the lathe I got, so I wouldn't be averse to getting a mill from them at all. In the meantime, I reckon a "don't run before you can walk" approach is best, so maybe I can learn a little milling on the lathes as needs come along.

I was lucky enough to obtain a small PC controlled router, which is up to the job of cutting aluminum - maximum 1/4" diameter bit - so I have that to work with. Being computer controlled it might be possible to make curvy spokes in flywheels - that was my thinking anyway. I can't wait to start getting going! ;D

Back