My daugher, a dog and a persistant doe.)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this with the forum. Title says it all.....and yes I did talk to her about chasing such a crazed animal.:)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpeW3L-zEA&feature=channel_page[/ame]

From the close up shot looks like the doe is lactating and there was likely a fawn close by in the bushes . Don't mess with a momma animal.
Tin

Bob

It looks like the Doe's bag is full and and she is comming to get her fawn to nurse.

Keep us up dated.

Hal

That's a great video Bob.
It reminds me of some ancient history in my life that some of you might find some humor in. My family and I did not find much humor in it until later. No photos, so you will just have to bear with me and my typical long winded account.

The scene takes place at my childhood home on the outskirts of Anchorage, Alaska in 1951 while I was still a young lad of about 11. Like most people in the area the backyard was a vegetable garden. Moose were frequent visitors to the gardens. I guess they liked a little variety in their diet. Most of the time the dogs would keep them away, but this they must have been off on more important business. The moose were always cows and never had a calf with them. I think the bulls knew they would become someone's steak and the cows with a calf would stay away because the dogs could bring down a calf.

So, one day looking out into the backyard, here is a cow moose in the garden. But, unfortunately my grandmother was also in the garden. Now Grandma is about 92 at the time. Her eyesight is not so good anymore and neither is her hearing. Now if you add up the numbers, she was born in 1859. So for the first 40 or 50 years of her life if she went anyplace further than walking distance it involved a horse. She ,with her family, moved to Kansas in a covered wagon in 1872.

With her failing eyesight she decided that moose was a horse. There were not many horses around Anchorage so she had not seen one for a long time. Since she really missed the horses of her youth she wanted to pet that "horse". She would walk towards the moose and when she was about 5 feet away she would start to put arm out to let the petting begin. The cow moose was not having any part of this, so it would retreat to about 10 feet away. Again Grandma would advance and the whole thing would start over again. Because of her hearing we could not tell her what was going on and we were afraid that if we made a loud noise that it would spook the moose and it might trample her getting away.

While all this was going on, my father started to walk up slowly behind her. When he was still a few feet away, the moose decided that she was outnumbered and the cabbage was just not worth it. She then turned and walked slowly into the woods.

While this is ancient history, even today moose frequently come into Anchorage to look for "treats". There are several Moose Cams in and around Anchorage that are live and located in some of the more popular moose areas. They can be viewed on the internet 24/7.

I have not lived in Anchorage for a long time now, but I still miss the wildlife surrounding the area. Here, on the outskirts of Albuquerque, we still have an occasional bear in the area and a few coyotes. I have never seen one of the bears, but until a few years ago I would see the occasional coyote near my house.

Gail in NM,USA

Hi Gail,
Didn’t you have a Bear go in to a medical clinic last Year and it got stuck in between the automatic doors but I think later it took off. The clinic is in Rio Rancho close to Intel.
That is where our Daughter lives, near the Golf Course
Hilmar

Hilmar,
Rio Rancho is just north of me and the clinic you refer to is just down the road from where I worked for many years. The bear was cornered in a bathroom and a tranquilizer dart allowed it removal and relocation to nearby mountains. Rio Rancho gets a bear visit or two almost every year. The bears follow the Rio Grande from the north and as Rio Rancho boarders the river they come into the town looking for a snack or two.

My daughter also lives near the golf course in Rio Rancho. If you ever come out this way to visit your daughter I am always good for a cup of coffee and a shop tour if you are interested. I am about a 10 minute drive from the golf course.

Gail in NM,USA

Gail,
I have a second house in Alamogordo. Cloudcroft is a nearby town up in the mountains about 9,000 feet and several times a year there are black bear reports. There is a hotel/resort in town and it seems the visitors like to leave treats for the bears. Not a very smart thing to do.

By the way, it's a great place to get away when it gets too hot down on the desert.

Kevin,
I lived in Alamogordo from 1962 to early 1966. I was doing research work at Holloman AFB as it was strictly a research base at that time. I also had a part time hobby shop on the 1800 block of 10th street at that time. Used to go to Cloudcroft quite often. There was a spring about half way up where the forest service had piped water to the side of the road where we used to get water about every two weeks. The Alamogordo water was so hard that it made terrible coffee. Was OK for most every thing else. It's been 10 years or so since I was down there.

One last bear story (or not). In the late 50's I spent two years in a remote part of Alaska on the White Alice communications system. This was in the heart of bear country. The story goes:

A newcomer to a White Alice Site was talking to an old-timer.
He said to the old-timer "I hear that if I have to go outside after dark, the
bears will not bother me if I carry a flashlight, is that true" The old-timer
related, "It all depends on how FAST you carry the flashlight".

Gail in NM,USA

Latest posts

Back