My completed Emco 120P Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtwitch

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I haven't posted here in a bit and since there are a couple Emco builds here, I thought I would add mine :)

The lathe has been completely gutted and all new electronics installed. For the spindle, I'm using a 3Hp vector duty AC motor, driven by a Hitachi WJ200 VFD. A braking resistor has also been installed.

The steppers are 640 oz. units from Keling and are driven by his digital drivers (KL-8070D).

The computer is a dual core mini itx setup with 4 gig of ram. I'm running windows 7 and Mach. I'm currently using a CNC4PC c11 board mated to a ethernet Smoothstepper. The smoothstepper is connected to the onboard nic. I also installed a second nic card, to have connectivity with my home network.

I was running the lathe for a bit, using the tool turret in a somewhat manual way...pushing a button to get to my tool. Then I found Andrew Barrow :) He makes this neat little board... http://www.barrowdynamics.com/etc/index.html

I switched the original pneumatic stuff and such to SMC units.

I also wrote my first ever macro for using my homemade pull out tool :)

Enough of the wordy stuff...here is the lathe in action...mind you I'm still running a old gcode and all the cuts and speeds are kinda of slow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKD7Bhis0EQ&feature=youtu.be

pete

Great stuff Pete, thanks for posting. Man that spindle is turning up some revs!

Got any pics of the "guts"?

Great video Pete, love that little bar puller.

My Emco 120P has come to a stand still due to work commitments. Thanks for the inspiration, can't wait to get back into it.

Baz.

Looks good. I'd like to have a setup like that.

Given the HP and stepper size, your feeds look very conservative.

Pete, that looks great. Is the spindle motor balanced for 6000RPM? It runs very smooth. What is the microstepping setup of your steppers?

Kvom, keep in mind that this machine has a working envelope of ~2.25" in X and ~8" in Z. It doesn't need to go all that fast, because it doesn't have far to go. If acceleration takes 2", it will have to start slowing down before it reaches full speed most of the time.

Greg

I meant depth of cut, not feed rate. A 3HP motor and 650 oz steppers can take bigger bites than shown in the video. Since he implemented a bar puller, I assume there's some "production" going on there unless it's just for play.

Great stuff Pete, thanks for posting. Man that spindle is turning up some revs!

Got any pics of the "guts"?

I'll post a more complete video of all the changes and guts in a couple days.

Pete, that looks great. Is the spindle motor balanced for 6000RPM? It runs very smooth. What is the microstepping setup of your steppers?

Greg

Greg, the spindle motor is running at 3600 rpm in the video, but, I have had it up to 5000 rpm and it spun like a dream. The steppers are set at 10 microsteps.

Looks good. I'd like to have a setup like that.

Given the HP and stepper size, your feeds look very conservative.

As I mentioned in my post, the gcode used was an older code that was written when I was just begining this cnc stuff :)

pete

Hello folks, As i have mentioned my Emco 120p restoration has come to an end. i'm completely happy with the way the machine runs...even under Mach3 :)

But, i felt that the 120p was kinda lonely, so i recently acquired an Emco 220 to keep it company :)

I'll start rebuilding it tomorrow :)

pete

Back