my ball turner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmm - - - - very nice looking work.
Your design - - - -yours or based on ??????????

For just 'half-round' stuff in the past I just did the free hand machining thing - - - - like your tool very much though!!!!!!!

Nothing beats quality, it's getting almost impossible to buy workmanship like this. Thanks for the time and effort to post. Cheers, Peter.

Beware of cliches, One in 5 new businesses fail in the first 3 yesars. If you wonder why all this lovely stuff comes onto the secondhandmarket, the companies have failed and the liquidators are getting what little they can for the shareholders.

It was my job-- oh well 36 years ago, I was a 'bean counter!

Norman

Last night I was brooding or browsing after my son was amuzed that I knew about ;shrinking' or oil drumming car panels, He's got an 35 + 'Deux Chevaux with more dents that you can shake a stick at;)

So resting, drinking or whatever, I found that a guy from the SStates had made a miniarure 'Honing Machine' propelled by a scrap car windscreen wiper. Sort of speed 12V DC speed conmntrol and a diamond honing wheel.
Thought that it might inspire- or summat.

Meanwhile, I'm millimg about with a Nyford Vertical slide on the tuttet of a Geo Thomas small parting tool.

Have a nice day

N

Hopsteiner
I used the screws that fix the turret and 2 other threaded holes already made on the cross slide.

ajoeiam
I was inspired by other projects and adapted everything to my lathe.

Hopsteiner
I used the screws that fix the turret and 2 other threaded holes already made on the cross slide.
This is my cross slide on my Atlas. I’d like to say I made it but I saw it on ebay and fitted it to my lathe. What’s interesting is I had just bought the rough casting for this attachment at the N.A.M.E. Show Which I’m going to sell.

Attachments

• A9C204DA-A8D7-47CF-8C18-0FB17BA3E764.jpeg
    A9C204DA-A8D7-47CF-8C18-0FB17BA3E764.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 201
It’s a Craftsman/Atlas 12 inch with the longer bed. I bought it at Sears in the 70’s when they had a decent tool department. I had just started a tool and die apprenticeship at GM. Where I used to work alongside 2500 other people is now an open field. The plant was torn down around 2010. I retired in 2003. I think I’ve given you more information then you asked for, but I lament the loss of good paying jobs in this country.

It’s a Craftsman/Atlas 12 inch with the longer bed. I bought it at Sears in the 70’s when they had a decent tool department. I had just started a tool and die apprenticeship at GM. Where I used to work alongside 2500 other people is now an open field. The plant was torn down around 2010. I retired in 2003. I think I’ve given you more information then you asked for, but I lament the loss of good paying jobs in this country.
Don't worry, I love to hear stories lilke these. I thimpfk it was the 70's or 80's when I bought one of Sears "new" "companion" tools. It was an adjustable wrench and it was so soft that it dented the jaws on the first thing I used it on. I was very dissapointed and noted that that was the time of the beginning of the downfall of Sears.

I was looking for a good picture of the lathe but couldn’t find one. Pardon my laziness for not taking one. Having my morning coffee.

Attachments

• B20641C1-4600-4F25-A130-F26616D037BF.jpeg
    B20641C1-4600-4F25-A130-F26616D037BF.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 148
Don't worry, I love to hear stories lilke these. I thimpfk it was the 70's or 80's when I bought one of Sears "new" "companion" tools. It was an adjustable wrench and it was so soft that it dented the jaws on the first thing I used it on. I was very dissapointed and noted that that was the time of the beginning of the downfall of Sears.
I always looked forward to their tool catalog, being a tool “junkie.” I agree. All of the Sears stores in Grand Rapids have closed down. I buy my tools now at estate sales. Unfortunately, as we lose fellow machinists and craftsman.

Latest posts

Back