my attempt at Rupnows imperialized ridders flame eater

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and still going and going and going..... .1875 is etched in my brain now move over pull down, .1875 over pull down repeat repeat repeat. but I do like the results. maybe ill get it done by next week. averaging about a half inch a night. but I'm only getting about an hour a night worth of garage time though.....

upload_2018-7-26_9-23-11.png

well I'm going to call this one complete, what do you all think? project of the month material? hint hint wink wink lol

guess I'm supposed to put this in finished projects now right?

the base is made from some picture frame material I found in my moms workshop, I liked the fancy gold on the sides so she donated it. the inside of the base is oak wood salvaged and cut down with a fly cutter from an old pallet and then a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum plate between it and the aluminum engine base. the engine is removable from the base so I can get to the screws on the bottom in order to service the engine.

upload_2018-8-5_13-0-23.png

upload_2018-8-5_13-1-46.png

upload_2018-8-5_13-2-45.png

Last edited:
Hi W,

In my hayday, engine turning was one of the things I used to do on most of my engines, especially on the dozens of finger engines I made for friends and relatives.

I used to use cratex rubberized bobs, from about 10mm to 25 mm diameter, wearing away on a strip of emery to get to the exact size required for the pattern and after working out the length of lines plus widths I usually work to a 1/2 D forwards by 1/2D sidewards and knock the cratex bobs down to the diameter needed and starting in the exact centre of the shortest edge of the plate.

finger2bits21.JPG

Many a time it was for more than just one.
I can commiserate with your getting fed up of cutting the pattern, these three took four hours each plus one bob for each piece, but if you want it to look good, taking your time is an absolute must.

finger2bits33.JPG

These two pictures show the same plate with the light shining at different angles, it is for this reason that engine turning looks so good, it is like having liquid surfaces.

resurrect22.JPG

resurrect23.JPG

If you want to see engine turning at it's very best, have a real good look around Eamonn Keogh's site, he is very approachable and he gave me many tips on how to do it a long time ago.

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/et/et.htm

Hope this helps

John

Latest posts

Back