My apprentice this summer(Moriya Fan build)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the excitement around getting it running, there was an "incident". My nephew found out why they call it the "hot end"! At one point when we were restarting it he grabbed the hot end, and burned his fingers. He was a real trouper though, just toughed it out, dunked it in ice water, you can see our his hand in our wine cooler.

120.jpg

I sure wish I had a very good and experienced instructor and uncle like you.

I was taught by instructors mostly straight out of trade school. Their machining skills were not any better than the storekeepers. Fortunately there were ex-tradesman instructors who taught me HSS tool bit and twist drill grinding and gave me good tips in turning,milling and shaping.This was in the early 60s.
By the 70s the trade school had very highly trained and experienced machineshop instructors and by the early 80s CNC Machining Courses were available.

Your 13 yr old nephew will be glad to know he beat the then 16 yr old Gus 1961 in turning out fine job pieces.th_wav

Better get this done! Not much to do now and just in time too! Here we are cncing the fan hub, he programmed this pretty much all on his own. I made a CAD drawing and he just plugged in the numbers. This saved a ton of time over making this by hand.

194.jpg

198.jpg

Now to bend the tabs for the fan blades. I just made a simple fixture to allow the part to be held in a bench vise and bent them by eye using the protractor as shown.

200.jpg

202.jpg

Reactions: gus
And that's it! I took a cue from another member here who made a similar base...I never really like the bent angles of Senft's design. Along the way I think he learned a ton...he had never done anything like this before. He, for example, never knew you could make your own screws! I hope I planted a seed for the future.

My engine is sort of done...still need to make the base! I will make a follow up on that eventually.

Thanks for following along!

207.jpg

218.jpg

As promised Paul.
Here is my model and render of the fan.
Hope this helps people and they like it.
Cheers.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXo4DqR2K5w[/ame]

INVENTOR RENDER.jpg

FAN 1.jpg

FAN 2.jpg

FAN 3.jpg

FAN 4.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. And I hope he only learned appropriate English words...

Latest posts

Back