My 6 Cylinder Design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Design Review can be handy. A couple of suppliers to the company I work for have installed it at our request, so they can view the 3D assembly as a supplement to the dimensioned drawings. We were having a few issues with manufactured items, pretty rare occurrence now.

For our clients tho it is a bit different, telling a company like Chevron or Samsung that everyone in their document chain needs to install extra software to view our files just doesn't fly.
Big companies like that tell us what they want and we say yes sir :D

For AutoCAD I use Acrobat Pro to print to PDF, but then I didn't have to pay for it ;)

Last edited:
Not exactly what we're talking about... download one of ours and click it to pan/rotate.

Well, if you're interested send me step files and I'll send them back to you in that format.

I'm right thanks, purchased Alibre for that purpose :D
Also for personal use, as Inventor is on a network licence.. no good for working from home. (I could VPN but that's a pain for other reasons)

Last edited:
I was responding to Draw-Techs response #7, where he seemed to imply that Solidworks didn't have that capability.---Brian
I am not trying to bash Solidworks Brian, I was just saying that you can get a program that will work for the average guy for $200 thats all

John

I didn't consider myself "bashed". Solidworks is wonderful, but if I couldn't write it off as an expense for my business, I wouldn't have it.

Cheers Brian, I followed your thread as a 'guest' before I had registered, I do go back to it from time to time. Good stuff Thm:

Early days yet for my engine, I have only converted the dimensions to the nearest whole metric equivalent. The assembly shown is only a mock up (you can see part clashes)
Once all the parts have been created I will go back to the start and assemble the parts properly, making necessary dimensional changes along the way.
I will then go back and transfer bolt holes on mating parts and check again for further clashes.
Once the drawings are made for this, I will start machining and will also start modelling another engine, though I can't decide whether to start an own design(already have an engine in mind) or pull Steve's 'Little Demon' plans out of mothballs and convert to metric.
This is my first engine and also my first system change (imperial to metric), slow progress, I wish I had more time to devote to the Kerzel :(

Last edited:
Hi simon

Model looks good, look in the drawing mode and see if you can get alternative dimensions, you can draw in inches and it will convert to metric. Are you drawing full scale? I have built the kerzel engine with a few modifications, go to Videos look for David Kerzel's modified Hit & Miss, and my engine first on the list. I wish I could send a 3d pdf but can't afford to but adobe full version. I attached a drawing and included dual dimensions, not all, it gets a little crowded.

Jack

View attachment Crankshaft.pdf

Hi simon

Model looks good, look in the drawing mode and see if you can get alternative dimensions, you can draw in inches and it will convert to metric.
Jack

Thanks Jack, yes I am able to do that but it would create more work believe it or not.
If I draw it in imperial and then direct convert to metric, the dimensions will be tedious to machine. 3/16" for example, would be 4.7625mm.

For my process at the moment, I look at the plan, quickly calculate the metric equivalent and round it to the nearest whole number, like 5mm and then later check for fits with mating parts and adjust where necessary. That 5mm part may clash with another part so I will change it to 4.75mm and try again.
As most of the dimensions aren't critical this process seems, to me anyway, to be a little easier.

It also works better this way for Fasteners and metric tooling like drills, reamers and ball end milling cutters which will create 2 or 3 or 4mm fillets.

Last edited:
What do you have in mind for your own design? I don't know how much time it will save but converting your very nice inline 6 to a V12 would be feasible? If you did that would be awsome!

I'm also partial to V16's aswell if that's not complicated enough for you, oh and super chargers don't hurt either....;)

John.

Hi John

Trying to finish the dimensioned drawings on the 6 so I can Sell the plans. But I may do as you say when done. Might be real a challenge. Will start to think about it. I will be adding videos to my web site www.draw-tech.net

Thanks for the feed back

Jack

I have a curiosity... are you going to build this engine yourself?

Apologies if I missed that thru this thread.

Latest posts

Back