My 6 Cylinder Design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Finally finished the design of my 6 cylinder engine. I have over 1000 hour in this design, The models overall length of the stand is 20" long, 8" wide, 18" high. It has a bore of 1.125" stroke 1". The crank shaft will have two choices of build, 1 piece, or multiple pinned parts. All components have to be fabricated from bar stock. Water cooled with pump, Oil fed with pump up through head and returned through cam box to sump. Now I have to annotate all the drawings, which I estimate will be around 200. Total components is about 300. I will have a full parts list, with links for parts to be purchased. I will be selling the plans when complete on a CD with all drawings in pdf format for $25.00. If you are interested you can contact me. I have added a few assembly drawings to show how the drawings will look.
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO'S ON VIDEO PAGE
Jack

[email protected]
Draw-Tech

View attachment 6_Cylinder_Inline_Engine.pdf

View attachment Carburator.pdf

View attachment Distributor.pdf

View attachment Oil_Pump_Assembly.pdf

View attachment Water_Pump_Assembly.pdf

View attachment Block.pdf

View attachment Power Trane.pdf

Last edited:
Interested in the plans as soon as you've completed the prototype build and made any required modifications to the plans.

Nice engine. Will you be building one yourself ?

Hello Drew -Tech

May I ask what cad do you use and what do you think of alibre / Geomagic.

Thanks.

Buchanan

Hi Buchanan

I use Autodesk Inventor Pro 2012, the only other program that I have used is Solidworks, I prefer Inventor, one of the best features is the ability to build components while in assembly mode. I have been using Autodesk cad since 1985. I don't know about Alebre , but from most of the feedback it seems to be OK

Draw Tech

Buchanan
I just checked the online pricing of Inventor. $1495 for LT and $7295 for Pro. Alibre / Geomagic 2013 personal is $200 in the US, may be a little more down under.

As Draw-Tech said he likes that Inventor lets him add parts to his assemblies on the fly. Alibre has the same ability. You can use your assembly to build new parts.

Draw-Tech

This is going to be one nice engine when you get it built. Will you be CNCing the crankcase?

Dave

Hello Drew -Tech

May I ask what cad do you use and what do you think of alibre / Geomagic.

Thanks.

Buchanan

I have Alibre/Geomajic personal and I love it, you can also edit parts in the assembly as well and I also use it for exporting DXF files for water jet. good price and video tutorials as well

Yea it's expansive it cost me 10k it has about 8 Programs combined, but when I got it I was making my bread with it, pretty much if it works in Inventor, design it and assemble with almost zero defects. I was designing machinery for the Industrial Filtration, and Textile Industries. As to cnc no I will be doing it on my Bridgeport, Block of aluminum is about 3" x 4.5" x 12" big project !!!!!!

Hmmm, if your handy I see a V12 in disguise....:p

Lovely engine. Can't wait to hear it run.

John.

Draw -Tech

Thank you every body for your comments. I realy like the drawings , the v 12 wouls be awsome.
I will keep watching theis space.

Buchanan

I use Solidworks, and it has the ability to create new parts in an assembly. It always has had that ability.---Brian

I use Solidworks, and it has the ability to create new parts in an assembly. It always has had that ability.---Brian

Hey Brian, Alibre has the same ability to make parts in the assembly as well.
John

I was responding to Draw-Techs response #7, where he seemed to imply that Solidworks didn't have that capability.---Brian

Last edited:
Hi Jack, Engine looks interesting, looking forward to your build thread.

I use both Inventor and Alibre at work, I prefer to use Alibre. That is not to say Alibre is better, there are things about Inventor I wish Alibre had and vice versa.
One thing Alibre(and Solidworks too apparently) does have that Inventor doesn't is the ability to generate 3D PDF files where the model is interactive and moveable. Very handy for emailing to clients.

Hi all

Thanks for all the feed back. I didn't imply that solidworks was less useable than inventor, just quoting a friend that apparently just didn't know how to use it.
About the pdf files, when I purchased the Inventor Design Suite, it contains several programs that I can take snapshots of the moving model. also I own a program called PDF Create by nuance that can take PDF shots in any program by using a printer driver, that gives a WYSIWYG duplicate. Autodesk also has a program called Design Review to read dwf files generated by Inventor, where you can dissemble the whole model, and a lot more. When I am ready to sell my plans all the assemblies will include a DWF file that allows the builder access to all model dimensions, with the ability to also rotate the parts to make them familiar before starting the machine process.

Jack

Draw-Tech

One thing I have found out about those marvelous 3D pdf's---If your assembly is large, the 3D pdf file becomes too large to email. I thought they would work great for sending some of the stuff I do to customers who don't have Solidworks, nor the free 3D Solidworks e-drawing viewer that can be downloaded from the Solidworks website. However, the 3D pdf files are huge and don't seem to get any smaller when zipped up. They sure are neat though for single parts or small assemblies.

Back