my 1st engine build, a PM Research 3B, on a Unimat db-200

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickademusss

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge and traded some castings to my dad for his Unimat, and this is my first engine build.

Today I set it up as a mill and cut the flat on the engine base for the cylinder head. It took almost an hour as I could not cut allot at a time, but thats ok :)

I also squared one side of the cylinder in preparation for turning and boring it.
I would like to post the whole build here and perhaps get a few tips if anyone has used the unimat.

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

Looks like a good start.

Don't worry about the amount of time it took.

It's not about how fast we can machine a part it's about spending time doing something we enjoy.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Keep at it and before you know it you will have a good running engine.

my dad gave me a unimat for christmas one year and to be honest i thought what can i do with this LITTLE machine??

well i soon found out it is a very handy machine for drilling very small holes (set up as a lath or a mill/drill press) and over the years it has served me well.

if you want some very good and useful info on these lathes you might want to ask mr marv klots as i think he is the resident expert on these machines.

like most machines if you think things through and are not in a hurry they will perform very well.

keep us posted on your engine build, i for one look forward to you next posting. th_wwp th_wwp

chuck

chuck foster said:
my dad gave me a unimat for christmas one year and to be honest i thought what can i do with this LITTLE machine??

well i soon found out it is a very handy machine for drilling very small holes (set up as a lath or a mill/drill press) and over the years it has served me well.

if you want some very good and useful info on these lathes you might want to ask mr marv klots as i think he is the resident expert on these machines.

like most machines if you think things through and are not in a hurry they will perform very well.

keep us posted on your engine build, i for one look forward to you next posting. th_wwp th_wwp

chuck

It will be a slow process for me, but I will post pictures of everything.
I have most of next week off, so I hope to get a good start on it.

Next to finish the base, I gotta find a way to clamp it to drill the crank shaft holes and head bolt holes.....

I will follow your build with interest. I still have many things to learn.

Vince

Nice start Nick. PMR has some nice kits and good castings to work with. Will look forward to your progress on this one.

Bill

Got started on the flywheel, I am going to have to do the parts I have tools for first, so I may bounce around a bit.

I started by center drilling the flywheel, drilling it all the way threw with a small than target sized bit, then using the target bit. I was going to mount the flywheel on the crank shaft then turn it, but since its held on by a tiny little grub screw I thought this would be a bad idea. So I found a bolt that just fit in it and used that as an arbor.

The unimat cut the bronze with ease, again slowly, but evenly and chatter free after I found a loose bolt on the tool rest mount...

The flywheel was also polished a little with 600 grit paper, later it will get the buffing wheel treatment.

I was going to start on the cylinder head and base today, but I need a larger clamping surface and a stubby 1/2" drill bit... my milling bed has yet to arrive and i need a trip to the store for the bits and taps.

ca6964f9.jpg

fde969e0.jpg

b2881546.jpg

I took a spare base I had and cut the socket end off and mounted it behind the lathe.It gives you much more X travel.I have one I can send you if you want it for free.
Bill L.

Had a few more pics to add, I drilled for the crankshaft... very slow cutting...

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

little work done on the crank, I have been out of town for a few days so no work done until today....

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

I was going to turn the cylinder ends, but when I tried to reverse my chuck keys, one of them is broken (missing one of the inner guide teeth) so now I search for a new chuck...

Good progress Nick, don't worry about how fast its going. Based on the pictures both the flywheel and through hole for the crankshaft look good...before long you have a nice runner!!

Bill

b.lindsey said:
Good progress Nick, don't worry about how fast its going. Based on the pictures both the flywheel and through hole for the crankshaft look good...before long you have a nice runner!!

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Do you or anyone else know a good source for 1/4" shank boring bars?

Back