My 1st beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlukens

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent my teen years in my dad's machine shop. Skip ahead 50 years thru marriage, moves, careers, kids, colleges, etc, and I bought a used Smithy 3 in 1 mill/lathe. Say what you will, but I found the machine to be capable and enjoyable. As Ray Wiley Hubbard says "And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days"
I designed this on "Draft Sight" free cad software. Nice program. I intended to post my design. However, I apparently dumped all my files to that wastebasket in the sky... completely gone. Dammit
Anyway, here's my engine. I must confess that I'm proud of it.

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4582.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

That a great looking engine. Thanks for sharing

You should be proud. Looks great

It's been said above: That's great looking and the combination of metal and wood is very nice looking.

Thanks for posting,

--ShopShoe

Thank you all for the compliments. As you know, we hobbyist have a limited audience (wife). Beyond that it's nice to be appreciated.
I've always enjoyed wood. The beam is bubinga, the frame walnut, and the base is cherry.
I'll post a video soon.
Russ

First of all, merry Christmas to all.

=> Very, very good looking beam engine, Russ. Adding mahogany is an interesting idea, cosmetic wise. But it prevents you from running your beam engine under steam. Anyway, waiting to seeing a video of it running on compressed air.

By the way, what is this cute yellow car in your avatar picture?

Not sure the steam would hurt the wood but I'm fine with running on air.

That "cute little car" is my '59 Triumph TR3. But she doesn't know she's little... I can and have driven her anywhere in the country.

Latest posts

Back