My 1895 MERY engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipintexas

Reaction score
Quite a project, but finally got it running on propane. This is a 6 cycle, double acting gas engine, it holds the exhaust valve open for the exh. stroke, then an int. & exh. through the exh. valve and then normal 4 strokes. I was very impressed with the quality of the castings.
Scan3.jpg

Wow, that is a cool looking engine. You did a nice job on her. Any more pics, or even better, a video?

+1 on more info!!!
And the video!

Looks very cool!
Never seen one like that before!!!

Andrew

That is a very unique and interesting engine. Yes! Video please?

Regards Don

Philipintexas

THAT is beautiful!
I'd love to see it running!

Rick

Beautiful engine. Gotta say, tho, you completely left me in the dust with that explanation of how the valves work... ???

:) Chuck

Sweeeeeet!

Norm Jones has one of those and it's a challenge to build.

Dave

I'm with all the other posters.

Beautiful engine. :bow:

Please show us it running th_wwp
SMILEY_CAMERA.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I love these Mery engines, I built 3 of them in 2008. I added a functional Fly ball Governor and a generator.

There were only 2 of the original full size engines ever built. About 200 model casting kits were sold.

The engine started out as a steam engine & was converted to an internal combustion 6 cycle engine, it ran on natural gas.

This is a link to the only remaining full size Mery
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF-IR3gRyc0[/ame]

More information about the original Mery Engine:
http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/Gas-Engines/1895-Mery-Explosive.aspx

Mike N.

Mike N: Very interesting video, I concur on the steam engine origin, everything about it is steam. I've never seen the real thing. Of particular interest is the "radiator", I made a small water pump driven by an extra excentric but it tends to need lots of cooling and the radiator looks interesting. I thought the extra intake & exhaust through the exh. valve would help cool it but not so.

Would like to hear more of your build issues, successes, modifications. I just bought a kit today from Gary. He is a very interesting gentleman. Got to see his shop today when I went and picked up the kit. Nice castings. Just drawings to go with and good clear drawings. Saw one completed last summer at a show along with the only operable full size one. Will not be getting to it for a few months, but I wanted to beat a price increase and got the last kit at the old price. Will do a build thread when I start, as I have been unable to locate one so far.

I’m in the process of building a Mery, it’s a very interesting engine, and you’re right, the castings are very good. I don’t have many pictures and I’m slow at machining, but I’m enjoying the build.
Karl

Hi Karl, Where in world are you? It looks like a real challenge to build. As always, plans are gobbledgook to me until I get my hands dirty. Like I said, I have one kit project almost complete (Ransom and May) that need the base and final plumbing, and a steam donkey from scratch. Plus, working on lost PLA casting for another project. I would be interested in issues you have and confusions you face. PM me for that stuff if you would.

Another Phil with a Mery!! PhilipinTexas, you did a fantastic job on your Mery. I finished mine around the same time you finished yours. For those interested, I did document a lot of my build, including some of the more challenging parts.
www.teqknow.com/Shop/Mery.html
Here is a shot of it completed
IMG_20150111_134525677_TOP.jpg

Another Phil with a Mery!! PhilipinTexas, you did a fantastic job on your Mery. I finished mine around the same time you finished yours. For those interested, I did document a lot of my build, including some of the more challenging parts.
www.teqknow.com/Shop/Mery.html
Here is a shot of it completed
IMG_20150111_134525677_TOP.jpg
I note you painted where the connecting rod is
white, like the only one still alive. Looks great, will be visiting your thread.

It looks good with that but I didn't use a pure white, it's more of an antique white. I thought it would make it a bit less stark. It still requires a rag close by to keep the oil mess in check. I painted and stripped it 2 or 3 times before I found something I liked. I started with a color coat / clear coat. It looked fantastic but the clear chipped and drove me crazy! Damn OCD!!

Latest posts

Back